Brutal loss to Rocky following a successful tournament at Arapaphoe

Haley Rockwell

Following a tournament at Arapahoe High School on Saturday, December 2 where two wrestlers; Nathan Meyer and Will Hendrickson, placed first as well as Zach Klingner placing second and Austin Yeager placing fourth, Fossil Ridge High School wrestling competed in a dual against Rocky Mountain High School.

On the mats of Fossil, Jackson Holloway lead things off at 170 pounds against Steven Doyle from Rocky. Doyle took the victory by pinning Holloway and put the Lobos in the lead 0-6.

Nathan Meyer pushes Riggs to his back and forces the pin. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

Nathan Meyer is one of the Fossil wrestlers to watch this season. He pinned all 4 of his opponents and finished first in the opening tournament as well as placed sixth in the state tournament of the school year 2016-2017. Meyer faced Coleton Riggs following the match between Holloway and Doyle. In the first period, he easily pinned his opponent and tied the team scores 6-6.

Ian Sampson finds himself in trouble as Hargreaves takes him to the mat. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

The next match was between Sabercat, Ian Sampson and Lobo, Alec Hargreaves for the weight class of 195. Sampson gave up the pin in the second period and Rocky took the 12-6 lead.

Marshall Scott struggles to break free from Johnson’s firm grip. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

In the remaining two heavy weight classes, Fossil was forced to forfeit and lose 12 points to Rocky. The dual then moved to the 106 match between Marshall Scott and Lance Johnson. Scott lost by tech-fall and advanced the score to 6-29.

Next up was Ryland Hixon at 113 against Zak Aweida from Rocky. Hixon lost by pin in the third period and the dual continued to the 120 weight class. Sabercat, Hunter Geist-Sanchez faced off against Lobo, Lucas Hefner. Hefner tech-falls Geist-Sanchez to move the score to 6-40 Rocky.

Kevin Meyer and Christian DeHerrera followed in the next match of the 126 weight class. DeHerrera pins K. Meyer in the second period, moving the match to 132 with Cameron Blevins and Johnny Murphy. Yet another Sabercat gets pinned by a Lobo as Murphy pins Blevins in the second period.

Will Hendrickson shoots to make a move on Hardy. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

The score was 6-52 as the dual approached the 138 weight class with Will Henrickson and Trey Hardy. Henrickson is another Sabercat to keep a look out for this season because he, like N. Meyers, placed first at the opening tournament by pinning all four of his opponents. The match against Hardy was made final with the major decision of 12-2, scoring Fossil 4 points.

Zach Klingner fights for the tiebreaker in the last seconds of the final period. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

The next match was at 145 between Zach Klingner and Tate Martinez. In a competitive match that went until the end of the final period, Klingner lost 6-7 in a heartbreaker. Klingner is the third Sabercat to watch for this season, after placing second in the opening tournament and going 3-1.

Austin Yeager reaches for David’s leg to try to make an escape. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

Austin Yeager and Neil David were up next in the 152 weight class. Like Klingner’s match, this one went until the final period. Yeager, however, fell to David 0-7.

Jason Brockway attempts to push Betts off him and reverse positions. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

The score was 10-55 Rocky as the match approached the final match of the night, consisting of Jason Brockway and Josh Betts. Brockway got pinned and brought the final team score to 10-64 Rocky.

The Sabercats will compete in one more home dual before winter break. On Thursday, December 21, Fossil will host Poudre High School at 7:00 P.M. Come out and support your fellow Sabercat wrestlers in their crosstown rival dual.