Wrestling grapples through their season

Zach Klingner anticipates his opponent’s next move. Photo Credit: Adam Waters

Haley Rockwell

As an athlete it is difficult to get through a season when there is not much success, the season ends up feeling long and never ending. The 2017-2018 wrestling season for Fossil Ridge High School has been a rocky one as they approach the second part of the season.

Varsity squad stands, desperate for success. Photo Credit: Adam Waters

The team left the last week of school before Christmas break defeated after getting pinned by Poudre High School, the crosstown rival that is known for their talented wrestlers. The Impalas took down the Sabercats with a final team score of 6-64 on the Fossil mats. Marshall Scott and Nathan Meyer represented the Sabercats by winning their individual matches and earned 6 points to their team score.

Returning from Winter Break, the wrestlers were eager to redeem themselves in a tournament at Fort Collins High School on Saturday, January 6. However, the tournament ended with disappointment for the Sabercats. No one from the team placed at this tournament and they receive very few individual wins. The Sabercats scored a team score of 22 points, 185.5 points away from the tournament champions, Windsor High School. Fossil had a rough start to the year of 2018.

Nathan Meyer returns to the mat after a poor performance on Saturday, January 6. Photo Credit: Adam Waters

Later the next week, on Thursday, January 11, the wrestlers took the mat once again against Loveland High School. In the previous season, the Sabercats were defeated by the Indians 28-42 so they were determined to steal a win from them this year. With frustration and disappointment the Fossil wrestlers left their home mats with yet another defeat, Loveland won the dual 25-51.

Fossil wrestlers have struggled to get a win under their beats and make themselves known in the high school wrestling world, however, that does not crush their spirits and passion for the sport. The team walks into training each day, with the intention to work hard and become better wrestlers.