Fossil beats Broomfield after losing their winning streak

Olivia Doro

After the Fossil Ridge High School girls basketball team beat the number one Highlands Ranch High School they were on an epic winning streak. However the rising team at Horizon High School beat the Sabercats 37-66 on Fossil’s homecourt, ending their streak and putting a minor dent in their confidence. The loss was followed by a win against Broomfield High School on Tuesday, January 24.

The Eagles dominated the beginning of the first quarter leading Fossil until the final three minutes. Coming off a loss the Sabercats weren’t fazed at all and turned up the intensity to pass, communicate, and shoot stronger. Not only was their offense strong, their defensive line also played better with senior Reilly Dunn completely shutting down a shot from Broomfield. To finish the quarter the sophomore power duo, Lauren Zwetzig and Sophia Hadad, each scored two points to end 11-7, taking the lead for Fossil.

Following the comeback in the first quarter Fossil kept up both their lines and doubled their score by the buzzer. On both sides the aggression came out with more fouls and physical contact. The Sabercats did a great job stealing and rebounding as well as running the ball up the court. Although Fossil made fewer shots than usual they still held a lead over Broomfield and finished the half 22-9.

Once again the sophomores of varsity showed their skills and talents with Zwetzig making one of her free throws and following with a two point shot to start off the third quarter. After three free throws from Fossil it was Ashley Steffeck who came back with an amazing rebound to score two points in the final minutes. Hadad followed Steffeck and scored two more points and Katey Guzman making her free throw shot with six seconds left on the clock to finish 38-26.

Deliberation from coaches, refs, and managers altered the score to 40-22 going into the last quarter. Steffeck started off the quarter scoring two with a follow up form Zwetzig right after with another two and sinking both her free throw shots. Kaysen Hobbs two point shot was then followed with three free throws until Hobbs once again scored two points. The most free throws in any quarter of this game and the game ended with a free throw as well. Beating the Eagles 59-28 the Sabercats started hopefully a new winning streak.

Come show the girls support at their next home game against rival Fort Collins High School on Tuesday, January 30. Good job on another great game and good luck ladies!