Turtles+All+the+Way+Down+by+John+Green+and+The+Unlikely+Hero+of+Room+13B+by+Teresa+Toten+both+tell+poignant+stories+about+the+realities+of+living+with+OCD.+Photo+Credit%3A+Serena+Bettis+

Turtles All the Way Down by John Green and The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B by Teresa Toten both tell poignant stories about the realities of living with OCD. Photo Credit: Serena Bettis

Turtles All the Way Down by John Green

Though it would be false to say I rarely read books that have profound meaning to me (I read often and am picky about what I read), I have never read a book that so accurately describes a major part of my life as Turtles All the Way Down by John Green does. John Green’s most recent novel since the award-winning The Fault in Our Stars features Aza, a teen girl with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), as she battles her mental illness while embarking on adventures with her best friend, Daisy. Aza and Daisy find themselves reacquainted with a billionaire’s son, Davis, after Davis’ father disappears while his company is in the middle of a lawsuit. The novel then transitions between a mystery, romance, and coming-of-age story.

Turtles All the Way Down is probably my favorite John Green novel, and will remain that way for a long time. Unlike some of his other works, it has good elements of romance without being overly cheesy, and though the premise and setting are occasionally far-fetched (Davis’ house has a movie theatre hidden behind a bookshelf), the characters are as real as they get in Young Adult fiction. Moreover, Green did a fantastic job incorporating an major element of his own life into the novel (OCD) without making the novel a what-if memoir to his teenage self (Looking for Alaska, anyone?). I think that Green’s own personal experience with the type of OCD he gives to Aza is what mainly makes this book powerful.

While I do not suffer from OCD like Aza, I do experience generalized anxiety disorder, and was able to relate to Aza immediately as she explains the type of thought spirals she finds herself caught in. Green writes paragraphs of Aza’s thoughts, jumping first to Aza’s attempts at calming herself down and then to her anxiety-driven fears and urges shown in italics. I found these paragraphs simultaneously compelling and heart-wrenching as I could sympathize with Aza when she struggles with thoughts that are not truly her own. One thing this book still left me wishing for was a novel more focused on mental health recovery, and not on the downfall into the need for recovery. Aza’s OCD overtakes her at one point in the novel, but it takes most of the novel for her to get there and less of it than I hoped to see her come out of it. As per usual, Green is great at documenting drama and tragedy that make for fantastic movie adaptations – what I would like to see him do is write a book solely about redemption, where the good moments properly outweigh the bad.

Additionally, Green finds ways to put in large, bold statements about life and the world that are common for his books such as, “True terror isn’t being scared; it’s not having a choice in the matter.” This, along with a romance that leaves Aza thinking, “I thought, lying there, that I might love him for the rest of my life,” are some of my least favorite parts of the novel. Despite being a fan of Green’s books before the widespread popularity of The Fault in Our Stars, many critics of his work dampened my enjoyment of his novels when I had to agree that there is a certain amount of predictability in his writing. I hoped Turtles All the Way Down would thwart this, and it did in some respects, but also failed to in others.

I would certainly still recommend Turtles All the Way Down to anyone, especially readers wary of John Green. Despite its faults, it is primarily a story about Aza’s mental illness and how that affects her relationships with her peers, and is a worthwhile and accurate read if you are trying to understand how anxiety can impact someone’s life.