Music students represent Fossil at All State Orchestra Festival

%28Photo+Credit%3A+Kaitlyn+Philavanh%29+%0AThe+Symphony+Orchestra+gets+ready+to+start+their+concert.+

(Photo Credit: Kaitlyn Philavanh) The Symphony Orchestra gets ready to start their concert.

This year, eleven students were chosen to represent Fossil Ridge High School at the 66th Colorado All State Orchestra hosted by Colorado State University. These students were part of a select group chosen out of hundreds of anonymous auditions, and placed into two orchestras: the Philharmonic Orchestra, and the top orchestra, the Symphony Orchestra.

Philharmonic Orchestra:

Emma Shelby – Flute

Aaron Lucas – Trumpet

Gracie Finnegan – French Horn

Arnold Pfahnl – French Horn, principal

Esther Jeong – Violin 1, first violin, fifth chair

Amy Koo – Violin 1, concertmaster

Jeannie Zhang – Violin 1, first violin sixth chair

Josh Lee – Cello, third chair

Symphony Orchestra:

Sasha Chappell – Cello, Second chair

Hayden Simms – Trumpet

Hannah Mullins – Viola, fourth chair

Photo Credit: Kaitlyn Philavanh

Students started their hard work on Thursday, February 8 at the University Center for the Arts, and ended with a final concert on Saturday, February 10. The two orchestras each had separate concerts, with the Philharmonic Orchestra playing at 4 pm and the Symphony Orchestra playing at 6 pm.

The Philharmonic Orchestra was conducted by Gail V. Barnes this year, playing works from a tasteful assortment of composers such as Menotti and Sibelius.

Ipolitov-Ivanov: Procession of the Sardar from Caucasian Sketches

Benjamin Britten: Courtly Dances from Gloriana

Gian Carlo Menotti: Barcarolle from Sebastian Suite

Alexandre Luigini: Ballet Egyptian I. Allegro non troppo

Franz Schubert: Symphony #3 II. Allegretto

Jean Sibelus: Karelia Overture

The Symphony Orchestra was conducted by Sey Ahn, who returned this year after

Conducting an All State group in the past. This group played three powerful works, displaying their passion and skill.

Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky: Marche Slav, Op. 31

Hector Berlioz: Rakoczy March

Gustav Mahler: Symphony No. 1, IV. Stürmisch bewegt – Energisch

Both groups received generous applause from the audience, and demonstrated the importance of music in the Fort Collins community for anyone and everyone. Amy Koo, who received the honor of concert master of the Philharmonic Orchestra spoke on her All State experience saying, “It was my first year participating in All State orchestra, so everything was terrifying and confusing at first. But as I got to know the orchestra, the experience became especially memorable. As the concert master this year, I was able to experience All State in an enhanced manner that I could not experience in school orchestra. This event was significantly meaningful to me in the best of ways and I definitely plan on doing it again next year.” All State is a wonderful opportunity for not just Fossil musicians, but for musicians from high schools around the state as well.