Fossil strikes down their last two games as they storm into playoffs

Fossil Girls Varsity Basketball Team Photo Credit: Paige Hobbs

Olivia Doro

After an impressive season of 17 wins and 5 losses the Fossil Ridge High School girls basketball team is heading into the playoffs ranked number 17 in Colorado. Their last regular season game against Mountain Range High School on Tuesday, February 13 was a knockout 82-25 points with the Sabercats coming out on top. The game before that on Friday, February 9 against Legacy High School was also another defiant game for the Sabercats, taking the win 66-35.

Despite not having won a state championship for girls basketball at Fossil ever, the current team of Sabercats have broken boundaries and school records in this season alone. Although the lack of school spirit and support these phenomenal young women have received from the Fossil student base is the bare minimum, they now storm into playoffs with hopes of taking down not only Highlands Ranch High School again but also Horizon High School.

The girls new year started with an epic final seconds three point shot victory over the number one Highlands Ranch. This set them up for a confidence boost and motivation for the rest of their season, until they played Horizon High School. The defeat of Highlands Ranch was the start of a four game winning streak not counting the previous streak they were already on, but that short lived sense of victory collapsed when Fossil lost 37-66 against Horizon.

Although both these teams, and the other three they lost too, are going to be fighting for the state title the Sabercats have the advantage of perseverance, teamwork, supportive coaches, and outstanding individual skills. Wish these girls luck for their playoffs game to be hosted at home on Tuesday, February 27.

Photo Courtesy of Paige Hobbs