Fossil sits as the top band in Colorado after the Regional Concert Band Festival

Taken by: Tess Allen

Taken by: Tess Allen

Taken by: Tess Allen

Tess Allen

“Music is a story without words, and being able to convey that story to the audience with sounds and emotion rather than words is what really sets us apart from other ensembles” says Wind Symphony’s Haleigh Copeland. On March 7, Fossil Ridge High School’s band hosted and participated in the Regional Concert Band Festival held by the Colorado Bandmasters Association. A multitude of bands played Tuesday night and all day Wednesday in front of judges and an audience in the PAC. The Fossil Wind Symphony, conducted by Daniel Berard, played “Freischutz Quickstep” by Claudio Grafulla, “Perthshire Majesty” by Samuel R. Hazo, and “Khan” by Julie Giroux. The Fossil Symphonic Band, conducted by Megan Munoz, played “Where the Waters Gather” by Charles Rochester Young and “Amparito Roca” by Jamie Texidor.
“I believe our performance was pretty good. We were passionate and our technicalities were performed well” says Wind Symphony’s Hailey Bruce. The Wind Symphony scored a 1 in each category which is the highest ranking, and they are currently the top band in Colorado. The rankings are based on musicality, technicality, and innovation. As a result of such high rankings, they will be attending the CBA State Concert Band Festival on April 17 at CSU. “Having this been one of the many consecutive years the Wind Symphony has advanced to the state level, I think that it really speaks to our abilities and the hours of training that Mr. Berard provides” says Copeland.
Some standout moments according to some of the band members were Wind Symphony’s Will Session’s soprano saxophone solo at the beginning of “Perthshire Majesty”, and watching their biggest rival, Legacy High School, perform. Fossil’s bands received some of the highest rankings which shows just how dedicated the students in the program are to making great music and expressing themselves in ways a lot of other people don’t understand. “By getting the highest ranking it would mean we are superior at creating a sound that brings emotion and meaning to the audience” says Symphonic Band’s Nyambura Kimani.
The day was filled with good energy and amazing music by the musicians who work hard to create a symphony of sounds and melodies.

About the Writer
Tess Allen, Staff Writer
Junior Tess Allen is in her first year of journalism but has been writing articles for five years now. Her favorite thing to write about is opinion articles and student features. Tess is really enjoying her first year of journalism and will definitely take the class next year too. Besides journalism, Tess has been the...