Opinion: You should be here

Isabella Mahal

Photo Credit: Olivia Doro

On Saturday, March 24, Denver will be hosting its own branch of the nationwide March for Our Lives in Civic Center Park. The march was initially proposed by students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in the wake of a shooting there on February 14, and has grown to encompass an entire movement. The official March for Our Lives page lists 720 individual events that are planned, and hundreds of thousands of people are expected to turn out to show that they will not stand for the gun violence that has plagued American schools for years.

Fort Collins is in a unique position, as it is hosting its own march in Old Town Square. In addition, though, a partnership between the nonprofit Fort Collins for Progress and the same students who planned the student walkout on February 27 has worked to find sponsors. Thanks to Everytown for Gun Safety and a variety of anonymous donors, every single student, parent, and community member who wants to attend the Denver march can take a free bus there and back. Anyone who wants to sign up can do so here; the pickup location for Fort Collins will be Traut Elementary at 11:30 a.m.

I know that we’re busy. High school students are trying to balance good grades and homework assignments, friend drama and relationships, and the sports, instruments, and causes they love. However, history is being made here. Our generation will go down in the books as the ones who stood up against gun violence, the ones who walked out, the ones who used their voices over and over until things got better. If there is any way that you can be free on Saturday, I promise that you won’t regret getting on the bus to Denver and showing the world that the constant school shootings are unacceptable. You’ll find yourself among thousands of others who are scared, angry, and ultimately hopeful. You’ll find your life touched by the idea of fighting for a cause that affects us all. You’ll find a little more love, a little more compassion, and a little more hope. You should be here.