Choir Sings Their Way to Success Throughout Colorado

The Fossil Tenth Bass A Cappella Group. Photo Credit: Briana McCormick

Sasha Chappell

The Fossil Ridge High School Choir has achieved many accomplishments this semester,  from individual musicians building their own musical careers to choir groups receiving top rankings in the state in a variety of competitions.

First, Fossil had 15 representatives in the Colorado All State Choir, which was more than any other school in Northern Colorado. Cole Mason, Travis Turner, Luke Marshall, Austin Hand, and Evan Hess represented Fossil in the Men’s Choir, which was conducted by Dr. André Thomas, the Director of Choral Activities and Professor of Choral Music Education at Florida State University. Jordan Hughes represented Fossil in the Mixed Choir, which was conducted by Dr. Edith Copley, a Regents’ Professor and Director of Choral Studies at Northern Arizona University. Finally, Bailey Walder, Madison Torrey, Mabry Keil, Claire Silk, Megan Bean, Megan Blad, Sophia Contino, Maria Cuddemi, and Nic Rhodes represented Fossil in the Women’s Choir, which was conducted by Dr. Sharon Paul, the Professor of Music, Chair of Vocal and Choral Studies, and Director of Choral Activities at the University of Oregon.

Fifteen Fossil students participated in the All State Choir in February 1-3, 2018. Photo Credit: Briana McCormick

In addition, the Women’s Choir, Chamber Choir, and SaberCat Singers performed at the Choice City Music Festival on April 4, 2018 at Fort Collins High School. Each group performed for a panel of judges, who gave feedback on each of the three groups’ performances. In addition, clinicians gave feedback to all three groups and worked with the groups on how to improve their singing. All three groups received superior ratings on their performances.

The Vox Femina, SaberCat Singers, Tenth Bass, and Chamber Choir groups attended the Winter Park Ski Music Festival on April 13-15, 2018. Top caliber choir groups from throughout Colorado as well as Texas, Nebraska, Missouri, and Oklahoma competed against one another by performing in front of a panel of judges, receiving ratings, and being scored in their type of choir. All of the Fossil groups received superior ratings, and the SaberCat, Tenth Bass, and Vox Femina each won first place in their respective categories.

Finally, the Tenth Bass group performed at the CHSAA a cappella and jazz competition at Cheyenne Mountain High School against 31 top performing a cappella and jazz groups throughout Colorado on April 26-27, 2018. They performed for and were judged by the well known a cappella group Freedom’s Boombox, who gave the group a superior rating. In addition, Austin Hand was recognized as an outstanding soloist and Drew Schneider competed in the Vocal Percussion Contest and received first place.

Congratulations to the Fossil Choir and the many choir students for all their success this semester. The Choir has two more events before the end of the year. On May 14 at 6:30 pm in the PAC, all of the Choir groups have their annual awards concert, and all the seniors will be recognized for their four years of accomplishments. In addition, the Tenth Bass and Chamber Choir will play with FACE, an internationally acclaimed a cappella group based out of Boulder, Colorado, at the Lincoln Center on May 17. You can buy tickets for the event at  https://tickets.lctix.com/eventperformances.asp?evt=1115 and use the code CHOIRTIX at checkout. A portion of the proceeds will go to fund the Fossil Choir program. Come out to these events and support the Fossil Choir!