Fighting On and Off the Field

Macy Klein, Sports Journalist

Dakota Johnson, Jack Wood, Coach LeFort, Shjon Mosser, Garrett Burns,  Jack Blomfelt, Ben Parker, and Dillon Parker showing their support for Coach LeFort.

On Tuesday, October 2, the Loveland High School Alumni Association hosted a fundraiser at Justine’s Pizza in Loveland for Fossil Ridge High School Football coach Vance LeFort. Coach LeFort has been diagnosed with stomach cancer and has been undergoing chemotherapy for over a month now. LeFort has been an amazing inspiration to the Fossil community but most of all, to the athletes that play for the Fossil football team. LeFort has conveyed to young athletes what it’s like to be brave and persevere while tackling everything life has to throw.

The fundraiser was a huge success. Many of the Loveland High School Alumni came to support along with a few of the Fossil Ridge football players. Everyone who came to support had the opportunity to donate, whether it be through buying a pizza or making a small cash contribution to the “Officials vs. Cancer” foundation. Most of Coach LeFort’s old Loveland High School teammates surprised him and showed their support for their former teammate.

The environment felt hopeful and happy. People from all over the state of Colorado came to show their support for their friend, coach, and teammate. As one walked into Justine’s Pizza, it was if they could feel the love and camaraderie with everyone in the room and the reunited friendships from their “glory days” in high school. The fundraiser was hosted at Justine’s Pizza because of the significance it has to the Loveland High School Alumni Association. Justine’s Pizza opened in 1971 and quickly became the meeting place for the students at Loveland High School. Loveland High School Alumni, Trevor Smotherman stated, “There was not a time when I went into Justine’s without seeing someone I was close with.”

Justine’s Pizza has always been the meeting spot for the high school football players and it was amazing to see them together again. All the memories from their time together in high school came flowing back, which made the evening more meaningful and very emotional. Coach LeFort felt so loved and cared for; he lit up when he saw his old teammates and coaches walk through that door. Not only did the association raise a lot of money for LeFort’s cause, they raised a lot of hope for him and his family. The feeling in the restaurant that night – that was what real love and compassion felt like.

Keep Coach LeFort in your thoughts as he battles on and off the field. Thank you to everyone who came to support Coach LeFort and his family.