Knowledge, Steve, homies, and bread: What you missed at Trivia Night

Caroline Sears

“None of Your Quizness” members dressed as typical dads.

Caroline Sears

On Friday, October 12 in the Fossil Ridge High School Media Center, students took over for Trivia Night. During the evening of thrilling competition, intriguing questions, and teamwork, a total of twenty teams of three to five people competed for gift cards to BJ’s, Sephora, Urban Brix, and many more sponsors. This happened through the hard work of volunteers, teachers, and students’ contributions. All profits went to Hurricane Florence Relief.

There were a total of six categories: Music, History, Movies and TV, Science, Sports, and Pop Culture. Each team entered their answers on a Google Form, and at the end of each round, the two emcees would review the correct answers. There were groans and cheers the whole night long. After the main round was over, the top four teams were determined. Those teams, “Bread Time”, “Sherlock Homies”, “Jonas and the Followers of Steve”, and “Knowledge Bowl” competed in a final buzzer round.

Before the buzzer round begun, the “Sherlock Homies” stated, “We are really just good at everything, we came out to win and that’s what we’ll do,” with a grin and laugh. The final round brought a sense of tension and suspense whilst the teams fought for the title and the prizes. Finally, “Knowledge Bowl” reigned supreme in first place. Runner-up was “Jonas and the Followers of Steve”, Steve being a blue stuffed animal monkey. The third place was taken by “Sherlock Homies”, and Fourth was “Bread Time”. All teams played fairly and had a great time.

It wasn’t all about competition though. From teams like “None of Your Quizness” to the “Backyardigans”, most teams said they were there just to have a good time. A member of Jonas and the Followers of Steve stated, “We probably won’t win, but that’s not why we’re here. We are here for the fun;” this team ended up winning second place after all. “None of Your Quizness,” said this their potential game, “We are dressed up as dads, we are just here for a good time.” They smiled whilst one member added, “I’m Bob. What am I doing with my life? I work at a bowling alley, my wife left me, and I haven’t eaten anything but pizza in months. I’m a failure.”

Other teams were full of confidence, like “Dave and the Cave Rave”. “We’re gonna win. Hundred-percent everyone else is toast. We are the Rave people of the Cave of Rave.”

Mr. Pfeifer, the teacher sponsor for Academic Council and the organizer of the event, stated, “It’s just getting something fun to do, something to impact the culture and climate of the building. You can tell it’s fun to do and everyone’s having a good time!” Whether students won prizes or not, not one team left without a love for trivia and a smile on their face.