Softball loses to Regis in state competition

Jayden Mercado is in tears after losing to Regis

Madalynn Lewis, Sports Beat Leader

Fossil Ridge High School Varsity Softball suffered a loss to Regis High School 2-3 on Friday, October 19. The Sabercats were ranked number two in the state while Regis was only ranked number seven. The two teams were evenly matched, as most of the game was tied 2-2.

The game started like many others during the Sabercats regular season games, with Fossil scoring two runs right away. Mercado hit for a single and landed on first base, followed by another single to first base. Moddelmog also hit for a single, allowing the Sabercats to score two runs. Regis scored near the top of the fifth inning, tying the game up at 2-2. The remainder of the game was hard fought by both teams. Unfortunately, Regis scored again in extra innings. Regis had a runner on third base, and then another Regis player bunted the ball. Fossil was able to get the third base runner out. Unfortunately, an inaccurate throw allowed the player rounding second base to push all the way to home plate. making the final score 3-2.

Because of the single elimination rule, the Sabercats will not advance any further in their state-run.

The shock of losing could clearly be seen on the girls, coaches, and fans faces. The heartbreaking loss early in the tournament felt like a “punch in the gut”. Hopefully next year the Sabercats will take advantage of the new season, and a fresh start.

About the Writer
Madalynn Lewis, Sports Beat Leader

Maddy Lewis, a sophomore, began her second year on the Etched in Stone staff as Sports Beat leader among many other leadership roles within Fossil Ridge High School. Her drive and strength make her natural-born leader and she hopes to utilize her talent throughout school and her career.

Maddy is also in student council, which allows her to gain leadership skills and grow as an individual. After College, she hopes to go into education through the Peace Corps, followed by a career as a kindergarten teacher or a Vice News political journalist.  Maddy is primarily interested in teaching people with different abilities and lives from her own, one of the reasons she is so interested in the Peace Corps. One program that she is seriously considering is in Chad, where she would be teaching young girls, teens, and women about consent. Another is in Costa Rica, teaching and helping in rural communities in any way she can.

After eleven years, competitive soccer took a toll on her knees and she recently switched sports to track and yoga. “As much as I loved soccer, I decided to change gears and try something new,” she explained. She also enjoys reading, watching movies, and hanging out with her friends. Maddy describes herself as “a nineties grunge music fanatic,” and loves bands such as Nirvana and Pearl Jam.