DECA Invitational brings marketing students into competition season

Anna Henning, Academics/Activities Beat Leader

The annual Colorado State University Distributive Education Clubs of America Invitational was held on October 16 in the Lory Student Center. 150 DECA members from Fossil Ridge High School attended. This practice competition for regionals allowed DECA members from high schools across Colorado to get a feel for the events. Leigha Devine, president of Fossil’s DECA, said, “it is a great test run for the first years to learn what an actual role play is like and how one works. It’s really important for them to get comfortable sitting in front and assuming a role before they take their shot at qualifying for state.”

Besides Fossil, students from Castle View High School, Fort Collins High School, Green Mountain High School, Horizon High School, Legacy High School, Loveland High School, Moffat County High School, and Mountain View High School also participated.

DECA focuses on preparing future leaders and entrepreneurs for careers in marketing, finance, hospitality, and business administration. Principle events allowed freshmen to get involved, and they could compete in the field of one of these principles. Other students could choose from over fifty events within these categories either as an individual or as a team. During these events, participants are given a scenario within their category, and ten minutes to prepare. They then get ten minutes to present a solution to the judges. Judges look for a strong presentation, with a stand out solution, and demonstration of 21st Century skills.

Devine, along with vice president Olivia Samona, put a lot of work into making this event happen. Fossil students organized the entire event, which included recruiting judges, managing a budget, reserving the ballroom at CSU, and contacting other schools. Executive Board members also helped run events, keeping participants organized and timing events. Devine felt the event was a great success, and it exceeded her expectations.

DECA will compete in their regional competition November 16. The group hopes to get as many people to nationals this year to represent Colorado and Fossil.