Sabercats reign in last Unified game

The team celebrates their final win of the regular season and discusses their practice plans leading up to the state competition.

Isabella Mahal

Isabella Mahal

Isabella Mahal

On Monday, October 22, Fossil Ridge High School’s Unified Flag Football team took the field against Loveland High School for their last game of the regular season. They took the win, 34-26, and senior Dee White expressed the team’s feelings when she said that she was sad to be playing her last football game in a Sabercat uniform. She added, though, that she walked onto the field wishing it would go “just the way it did.”

The score reflects the hard fight that both teams put in. Loveland took an immediate lead when the game began, scoring a touchdown for six points within two minutes of the first half. However, Fossil refused to be outdone, and sophomore Jacob Martin ran the ball to put Fossil in scoring position. Senior Robert Stone received the handoff to bring the score to a 6-6 tie. Then, Jaden “JP” Parker caught an interception and ran the length of the field to break the tie in Fossil’s favor; thanks to a two-point conversion, Fossil briefly led 14-6.

The exciting first half continued, as Loveland once again scored, converting for two extra points to once again tie the game at 14-14. Junior David Knuckey then had two plays to score another touchdown for Fossil, and though the team did not receive two extra points, they upped their lead to 20-14. As the scoreboard clicked down to show one minute in the half, the Indians once again ran into the end zone, but just before the half ended sophomore Alex Muggli snuck between the defenders to score. Fossil went into the break with a 26-20 lead.

Isabella Mahal
Senior Dawson Coker receives the ball from freshman Ryan Schaefer.

Unified Flag Football is played with two twenty-minute halves, and with five players per team. There are no field goals, and touchdowns are worth six points with the possibility of a two-point conversion if the team can run the ball ten yards in a single play after the touchdown. Rarely, there are also two-point safeties.

Fossil added to their score with one as the second half began, increasing their lead to 28-20, and freshman Jackson Maybon moved the ball for a key first down to put the Sabercats in scoring position. White threw a pass to senior Sebastien Bastille, and the duo’s teamwork resulted in one more Sabercat touchdown. The Indians refused to let up, though, and with one minute remaining in the game, they ran into the end zone to add six to their score. The scoreboard read 34-26 as the clock hit zero.

Knuckey dominated on offense and played excellent defense throughout the night, grabbing several flags at key moments to defend Fossil’s territory. When asked about whether he’ll play Unified Basketball and Soccer, he explained, “why yes I will!”  While he is sad that the season is over, Knuckey added that the team “has the state championship, which is coming up on November 3 at CSU!” Come support your Sabercats then.

About the Contributor
Isabella Mahal, Head Copywriter

Despite all the warnings given to her, senior Isabella Mahal filled her schedule with AP classes and a single TA period. Many of these classes were only open to seniors and fascinate her, such as AP Literature and AP World History, so not having an off period doesn’t bother her. It isn’t just her school schedule that is full. Mahal fills her time with extracurricular activities like volunteering at the Humane Society, being the co-president of Fossil Ridge’s Spectrum, and being a member of the group Never Again NoCo that works to help end gun violence at schools.

If Mahal has some time to relax, she is spending it with her family and pets. Her younger brother, Sebastian, is a sophomore at Fossil, and they get McDonalds together in her free time. Her family dog, Gus, and her cat, Silverstein, help her wind down after a long day at school. Mahal loves hiking, biking, and hanging out in her hometown of Fort Collins. Although her music taste varies, she loves Counting Crows, The Front Bottoms, Duran Duran, and Modern Baseball.

Mahal never dreamt about spending all four years of high school in journalism, having joined the class to be with her best friend, Karen Manley. Due to their differing schedules, Mahal ended up alone in the class, which forced her to find her own place. She wrote academic and opinion pieces, adding movie and book reviews to her portfolio. After being the academic beat leader her sophomore and junior year, Mahal is now the head copy editor to round out her time in the class. Her dream school would be UC Berkeley, studying public or global health to one day possibly join the Peace Corps. Although Mahal isn’t pursuing journalism in the future, the class has become a window for her to find herself, and help others do the same. It’s taught her about the students in the school whose voices aren’t always heard.

Mahal’s advice for incoming Journalism I students is to not be afraid to walk into an event or sport and be unsure about it, and to meet and talk with new people. People in clubs or sports that are less recognized are always appreciative of the recognition of their hard work. Even if you’re unsure about what you’re going to, you will definitely leave knowing more than before, and it’ll make you a more caring person to understand how everyone’s different experiences shape who they are. She loves the forum that journalism lends for people to understand the world around them, and she is a self-proclaimed “first amendment enthusiast”.