Filed under 2018, Arts, Theatre

Intro to Acting shows off humorous one-acts

"Little Red Robin Hood" takes the stage.

Anna Henning

Anna Henning

After working on their plays for the past few months, Introduction to Acting students showed their skill and passion for acting in two one-act performances. Not only were two plays done, but students performed the entire show twice on October 25. The Intro to Acting class, containing mostly freshmen with a few sophomores, captivated their audiences despite a few hiccups.

The first play of the evening, “We Loathe our Customers,” followed two employees at an office supply store. They loved to mess with their customers, but a possible visit from the district manager that day meant they had to be nice to a crazy group of customers. Some customers looked suspicious while others looked normal, but all were looking for some strange stuff. From paper that does not cause paper cuts, to erasers with warranties, a copy machine that obliterates all traces of DNA to asking if a pencil could be sharp enough to kill someone, employees Bailey and Campbell had to respond to a lot of strange questions with patience and understanding.

The audience found “We Loathe our Customers” to be very honest and entertaining. The humor from every interaction kept the audience laughing throughout the entire show. Small details such as the jazz music that played in the background, doorbell sound effects that notifed someone is entering the store, and the set added a lot to the overall feel of the one-act.

Bailey, played by Olivia Wang and Customer 3, played by Berlynn Bohn have an argument over pencils.

“Little Red Robin Hood” was a twist on classic fairy tales. It opened with Carla, who was babysitting her two younger siblings, Zach and Chris. She told them a bedtime story which was very unlike traditional ones. The storyline was a mix between The Emperor’s New Clothes and Robin Hood, with many characters from different stories making appearances. For example, the Big Bad Wolf was the sheriff of the Naughty Hams (the three little pigs), but dreamed of being the hero of his own story.

Although some of the actors thought the show could have gone a little more smoothly, the audience enjoyed this one-act wholeheartedly. Besides parents and friends coming to watch the show, some of the older theater students at Fossil Ridge High School came to support their fellow actors. They sat in the first row, and laughed more than anyone else.

Zach, played by Matthew Coffey and Chris, played by Mariana Sandri, have an argument.

The Intro to Acting class put almost two months of work into making these plays happen. Since they only had class time to work on them, they found they did not have as much time as they wanted to rehearse. Devyn Ward, who produced the show, was proud of how her students got everything put together. Although being a little worried about the time crunch, every student chipped in to make sure everything was ready. She said, “Everyone comes together really quickly at the end, they made their costumes themselves and everyone did a really good job of memorizing their lines.”

For the rest of the semester, Intro to Acting is going to do an improvisation unit. A lot of students expressed interest in learning that, as well as in some other, smaller units. Some students are taking the class just for fun, while others hope to continue with the theater program. Some are already quite involved in Fossil theater and will be in the school musical this fall. Be sure to come see “Rent” November 15, 16, or 17 to see some of these amazing actors and more.

About the Writer
Anna Henning, Academics/Activities Beat Leader

Anna Henning is working as a Copy Editor and BEAT leader for Etched in Stone. The sophomore has been a part of the staff for a year and looks forward to her leadership roles this year and within the program. She writes articles on a range of topics but her favorite to write are movie reviews. In fact, her favorite movie franchise is Star Wars and her favorite episode is Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. On her first year writing she discovered her passion for journalism, and continues to be a key member of the staff.

Outside of the paper Henning dances for the Fossil Ridge High School dance team, and this is her first year on the team. Despite being new to dance team, Henning has been dancing her whole life. She did ballet for 11 years until an injury made her decide to try something new and pushed her to join the school team. Now being on the team, Henning has found a great passion for learning hip-hop because she never had previously danced many other dance forms outside ballet. Along with her love for dance and movies, she enjoys reading in her free time. Among her favorite genres to read are mystery and action novels, nothing boring. She loves all kinds of music, although her favorite band is Twenty One Pilots. Her final interest at Fossil is choir in which Henning is a part of Femina, the select women’s choir.

The prominent young journalist plans to pursue a four year degree at a university after high school. Her goal is to become a journalist for an international charity to combine her passions of humanitarianism, travel, and journalism. In the upcoming school year Henning hopes to be successful in her leadership roles and academic career.