Unified Football places second at state

The team poses with their silver medals.

Karen Manley

Karen Manley

Karen Manley

On Saturday, November 3, Fossil Ridge High School’s Unified Football team placed second in the state tournament. The team played two games, the second being the championship.

Semi-Final: Fossil v. Brighton High School
For their first game of the tournament, the Sabercats took on the Brighton Bulldogs. The first touchdown of the game was scored by Fossil’s David Knuckey, followed by the extra point, scored by Jaden “JP” Parker. Shortly after, the Bulldogs scored without the extra point for a score of 7 to 6. Robert Stone scored the second touchdown for the Sabercats, leaving the score at 14 to 6 at halftime.

In the second half, the Sabercats strengthened their lead with touchdowns from Jaden “JP” Parker and David Knuckey. The score was 26 to 6. Then, Brighton scored two touchdowns, bringing the score to 32 to 22 with 15 seconds left in the game. The clock ran out and Fossil was on its way to the championship game.

Final: Fossil v. Rangeview High School
In their final game of the Unified Football season, Fossil played the Rangeview Raiders. David Knuckey scored a touchdown after David Van Skiver connected with Matt Coleman to kick off the game. The Raiders then tied it up at 6 to 6.

Karen Manley
The team huddles for one last “Sko Ridge.”

The Sabercats scored again, followed by yet another Raider touchdown, for a 12 to 12 score. After a touchdown by Daniel Van Skiver, the Sabercats held the lead at 18 to 12 going into halftime.

With two Rangeview touchdowns in the second half, the Raiders took the lead at 18 to 28. Daniel Van Skiver scored an additional 6 points for the Sabercats, followed by a touchdown for the Raiders. The final score was 24-34, earning the Sabercats second place in the state competition.

Unified Basketball season is just around the corner. Check the website for updates, and come support your Sabercats when their season begins.

About the Contributor
Karen Manley, Editor in Chief

Karen Manley, a senior, has been in the journalism program since her freshman year. She feels most at home when writing about Unified Sports and activities, mental health, and other topics that people may not pay enough attention too. This year, Karen will be Co-Editor in Chief. Her responsibilities include taking care of the class emotionally and making sure that the paper runs smoothly. Karen explains “I’ve wanted to be an Editor in Chief since I was a freshman here. I am very excited to execute some of my ideas.”

Karen was in born San Diego, California and moved to Fort Collins when she was 14 years old. She currently lives with her family, including her mom, dad, and Brother. She enjoys her friends’ company, being the Co-Historian for NHAS, taking AP courses including Studio Art, geocaching, going on bike rides, and playing board games.

As a senior, Karen knows that she wants to further her education after leaving Fossil Ridge High School. She hopes to attend either UNC or Eastern Washington University to study journalism. She may also want to take a gap year to serve in the Peace Corps. After she completes college, she hopes to have graduated with a degree in order to pursue war journalism. Karen would like to become a war journalist focused on the people living in war-torn areas to shed light on a problem rarely addressed.

Karen’s undeniable devotion to Etched in Stone can be seen clearly in her bubbly, kind, and sincere personality. She is excited to leave Fossil Ridge High School with a bang. Her dedication to Etched in Stone over the past three years has helped make the paper what it is today.