Coach Vance LeFort feature continued

Macy Klein, Sports Journalist

Coach Vance LeFort was diagnosed with stomach cancer in September of 2018. According to cancer.org, the average risk that a person will develop stomach cancer in their lifetime is about 1 and 111. The Loveland High School alumni linebacker and former Colorado State linebacker has been fighting this battle for little over a year now. Based on an article from Medical News Today published on January 5, 2018, there are about 25,000 newly discovered stomach cancer cases each year in the United States.

Approximately a year ago, LeFort started to lose weight and lost his appetite quite often. After going to multiple doctors, they claimed it wasn’t major, only gastric porosis. The symptoms kept getting worse so he decided to travel all the way to Maine to visit the best doctors in the country. The wait list for an appointment was terribly long, it was almost impossible to get in. One spot had finally opened up and they took it right away. After meeting with the doctors, they gave LeFort some home treatments and sent him home, soon after the family got a call telling them to stop the treatment right away and to go back to see them. From previous scans and the symptoms LeFort had been showing, it was concluded that it wasn’t gastric porosis, it was cancer.

Coach LeFort was born with the mentality of a football player which shows throughout this battle and how LeFort stays positive through the duration of this journey. LeFort’s mentality is strong and powerful as well as positive.“It was hard to hear that I had been diagnosed with cancer but all I knew was that God is going to take care of me and all will happen the way it’s supposed to,” LeFort says in confidence. His faith is the main focus in this healing process as well as the amazing support system surrounding him. 

I sat down and had a conversation with Coach LeFort and there was a reoccurring theme with faith and football. Football has always been part of his life and he has always been to continue in the sport which is why he started coaching. LeFort says, “I simply love football. It is the perfect mix of emotion, strength, and passion.” Throughout this healing process, LeFort continues to teach his players to be strong and positive no matter what comes your way which portrays what he has been undergoing. “Just like a game, I’m taking this process play by play,” LeFort says with his football mentality yet again. His faith ties along with his strong mentality and proudly states, “God is healing me and using me as a testimony for his greatness”.

As of right now, LeFort has been undergoing chemotherapy from home and is healing quite smoothly. He has been hooked on a feeding machine which he uses for 14 hours each day so he retains his nutrition but unfortunately hasn’t been able to consume any food since July. Even though he has missed out on a lot, he is still proactive at home while healing. LeFort has been productive in listening to podcasts with his favorite bible verses, he has been listening to football podcasts, and reading his favorite novels. He has doctors visits three to four times each week but is getting the treatment he needs to get through this difficult time.

LeFort also wants to let the Fossil Ridge Football team know that he is very proud of the hard work they have put in and how committed they are to each other and the sport. He is confident that he will be back and better than ever next season.