All Rise for the Pledge of Allegiance

Back to Article
Back to Article

All Rise for the Pledge of Allegiance

Hannah Kragel

All views and opinions expressed in outside op-eds are those of the author and do not reflect the beliefs of Etched in Stone or its staff. If you would like to respond or continue the discussion, we invite you to submit your own op-ed here.

The Pledge of Allegiance has been a classroom tradition for generations, but it has
recently become a sort of right of passage for edgy teens to withhold from participation and
renounce America, and American values. More alarmingly is the praise these “brave” individuals
receive for this blatant act of disrespect which only serves to demonstrate the ignorance and
ungrateful attitude of the modern teen.
The disregard for the cultural significance shows the lack of understanding for what the
Pledge of Allegiance means. Discussing with students who elect to refrain from saying the
pledge one will receive weak rationals such as: “I don’t approve of the current administration,” “I
cannot do the pledge because I disagree with (insert specific issue)” “I don’t see the point in
pledging to a flag,” all of which outline a common misconception surrounding the Pledge of
Allegiance. An ungodly number of people believe that the Pledge is inherently tied to the
government, that by refusing to stand, one is protesting their actions or displaying their
discontentment. This, however, is false. The Pledge of Allegiance is symbolic of pledging one’s
allegiance.
Allegiance, which is defined as: loyalty or commitment of a subordinate to a superior or of
an individual to a group or cause, refers not to the allegiance to the government, but to the
Country, the ideals and principals it was founded on, and the rights and securities that America
provides. America is unique in the fact that it was fortunate enough to inherit the arts and
distinct european cultures, as well as to be a country built on values and individualism rather
than ethnicity. During the Revolutionary War, colonists, not just from England, but also Spain,
Portugal, Italy, France, as well as other countries, banded together in order to “form a more
perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence,
promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity,”
sentiments that were addressed in the Constitution, contained in the Pledge of Allegiance, and
still live on today.
When one partakes in the Pledge of Allegiance, they are declaring that they believe in
these values, that these ideals; “liberty and justice for all” are worth striving for. They are
declaring that they believe that everyone deserves these rights, that they stand by our valiant
troops who risk their lives to ensure that these ideals live on. That they appreciate the militia
that defends the freedom of speech, and ultimately the privilege to sit during the Pledge. When
one participates in the Pledge they demonstrate that these liberties are not simply inherited, but
won, through sacrifice and selflessness, generation after generation.

About the Photographer
Liam H. Flake, News Director

Liam Flake is a junior at Fossil Ridge High School with a passion for journalism, particularly travel journalism and investigative journalism. Flake’s...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “All Rise for the Pledge of Allegiance”

1. Serena Bettis on November 15th, 2018 11:27 pm

I really appreciate that you’ve submitted an op-ed to the paper! It’s a great student resource to use!
    I want to invite you to consider two different things: (1) What are other reasons that people may not stand for the pledge of allegiance? I feel that you have generalized people’s views, and high schoolers are not always the best at giving their reasons, but take a look at other, perhaps more experience people’s, opinions as well. (2) Is it necessary to stand and pledge every single day? I personally believe that a pledge is something you take on once, and strive to fulfill each and every day, but your true allegiance to these beliefs should mean that you do not have to repeat it, just to prove it, every single day. Proving it is in the actions that you take.

2. Anonymous Person on November 16th, 2018 10:40 am

I don’t see the point of this. If people (like myself) don’t want to do the pledge on a certain day, then they won’t. As long as they stand, they’re not really being disrespectful.

3. edgelord mcgee on December 11th, 2018 12:03 pm

“edgy teens to withhold from participation and renounce America, and American values”

its not just “edgy” to realize that America and its values are absolute garbage. I dont stand or say the pledge or anything because its my protected right under free speech. If standing for the pledge was enforced, that would be going against an “American value”. If you want to counter that point by saying that I cant hate the country that “gave” me that right, I would tell you that protesting against the system in a way that the system allows you to protest is no protest at all.

I hope to one day burn that flag 🙂

• All Rise for the Pledge of Allegiance

Opinion

Warning: this op-ed is 100% gluten free, cruelty free, and straw man free

• All Rise for the Pledge of Allegiance

2018

Editor’s Note: Leading and needing people too

• All Rise for the Pledge of Allegiance

2018

Opinion: Jenna Julien podcast brings fresh entertainment

• All Rise for the Pledge of Allegiance

Current Events

Op-Ed: Fossil’s vape problem

• All Rise for the Pledge of Allegiance

Opinion

Op-Ed: If you eat meat, you are a coward

• All Rise for the Pledge of Allegiance

2018

Movie Review: Into the Spider-Verse

• All Rise for the Pledge of Allegiance

2018

Editorial: We must do better

• All Rise for the Pledge of Allegiance

2018

Op-Ed: The controversy behind start times

• All Rise for the Pledge of Allegiance

2018

Movie Review: The Crimes of Grindelwald

• All Rise for the Pledge of Allegiance

2018

The Backstage Family: Inside the Tech Crews of Rent

All Rise for the Pledge of Allegiance