Fossil Baseball is having a Ball

The+Sabercats+huddle+up+before+the+next+inning.+

Provided by; Joe Masi

The Sabercats huddle up before the next inning.

Macy Klein, Sports Journalist

The Fossil Ridge High School baseball team has been dominating the field in their 2019 season. With a record of 8-3 and being ranked seventh in the Colorado High School Activities Association Rating Percentage Index (RPI), the Sabercats have a great pathway going into the rest of their season.

The Sabercats started out strong this season with a win against Thompson Valley with a score of 14-10. The Sabercats gained lots of confidence going into their tough tournament in Arizona over spring break. The Sabercats came out of the Arizona tournament 5-1 and won their pool, playing the toughest teams from around the United States. “We came out of that tournament a lot closer and we felt like a family and we are gonna carry that on the rest of the season,” senior Joe Masi stated. The Arizona trip was a great start to a great season, but this strong team was thirsty for more.

After five great wins, the Sabercats faced the Poudre Impalas

The baseball team having a post-game talk to close our their tournament in Arizona.

and unfortunately could not keep up with the talent the Impalas showed. Before the loss to Poudre, the Sabercats were ranked second and unfortunately had a devastating drop down to seventh in the RPI as a result. Although that was a tough loss, the team bounced back with two straight wins against Arvada West, with an outcome of 8-2, and Columbine, with a score of 5-4. Fossil also had another loss against Mullen with an outcome of 4-5, but they will not let that loss get to their heads. The Sabercats are focused on playing one game at a time and getting a team win every game.

Fossil Ridge baseball is not used to seeing top ten rankings, so they are an accomplishment for the team this year. Not only is this team playing better, but they have come to realize the true meaning of a team. “We have become a family and we always put the team first before ourselves which is essential when playing a team sport. We are winning for each other and that’s all that matters no matter the rankings,” senior Joe Masi explained.

Overall, even with a few losses, the Sabercats have a great pathway into the rest of their season and are looking to dominate the field as they get closer to their conference games. They have had a tough non-conference schedule, including the Arizona tournament, but this team has been able to fight through these tough games and play great, solid baseball.

The Sabercats have a tough matchup against the Loveland Indians on Saturday, April 13 at 11 a.m. This will be a conference away game for the Sabercats. Be sure to wish them luck as they head into the rest of their season.