Class of 2023 takes on Fossil

Back to Article
Back to Article

Class of 2023 takes on Fossil

Walking through the tunnel to begin the next four years before adulthood, encouraged by teachers and staff.

Anna Henning

Anna Henning

Anna Henning

Anna Henning, Head Copy Editor

As many scrambled last minute to start and Advanced Placement (AP) summer homework or go to the pool one last time, students began to fill Fossil Ridge High School on August 19. Incoming freshman and student volunteers arrived for the brand new start of 9:00 a.m. for their transition day. Throughout the day, leaders and staff hoped to get incoming students more comfortable with the layout of the school, its culture, and feeling more confident before upperclassmen show up. 

The morning began with check-in, as freshman found their way to their designated student leaders. Coming from groups such as the Culture Team, Student Council, National Honor Society, and more, these leaders stayed with the advisory classes all day to promote school spirit and help navigate the building. Unlike previous years, students met near the gyms, commons, and both the East and West locker bays instead of all groups in the commons. This helped spread out advisory classes more, allowing them to have more room to get to know each other. 

Continuing the Fossil tradition, the teachers lined the hall towards the Performing Arts Center (PAC), clapping for them and cheering for their first day of high school. This follows the tradition of arriving and leaving through these tunnels, showering incoming freshman and outgoing seniors with support.

Throughout the morning, administration was introduced, the color dance was promoted, and the outstanding Tyler Durman spoke. As the motivational speaker presented for students, everyone laughed and held their breaths through funny stories and darker ones. Durman was passionate about teaching respect, the damage of internalizing struggles, and showing that so many people can support these students as they grow up.

In another tradition, the class of 2023 created their lip sync videos to this year’s theme of “musicals.” Music selections varied from Broadway shows to movie soundtracks. Students were encouraged to take initiative, bring new ideas, and get outside their comfort zones. Every student participated, getting out of classrooms to execute their idea for their song. 

After lunch, five-minute windows for each class allowed students to briefly meet each teacher, getting help on classroom locations and easing nerves before the building is completely full. After returning to the PAC, music video creations were shown, and club representatives from a few school organizations promoted their groups. Durman spoke again, and classified staff members were introduced. The day wrapped up with the cheer team leading the class in a few cheers done at games and assemblies. 

Advice was shared, laughs were had, nerves were calmed, and the first day of high school was complete. Another new class has joined the Fossil family, and they will celebrate being Sabercats one “Sko Ridge” at a time.

• The first few students check in to find out where they will go once in the building. Cheer and dance team members line the entrance to welcome new sabercats in.

• Student leaders hold up signs with advisory teacher's names on them to help students find their groups.

• Varsity dancer and freshman Ella Corrigan greets her teammates by the door.

• While waiting for the day to start, a full advisory class sits and begins to get to know each other.

• Teachers line up for the tunnel. All staff members are wearing "Fossil Family" shirts, and they hope incoming freshman will feel like they have a family at school.

• The first few freshman walk through the tunnel, as their future teachers clap. The next time they walk through, they will be graduating seniors.

• The students flood into the PAC to hear the morning's speakers.

• Connor Dalyrmple gets the crowd ready while waiting. He introduces speakers and also teaches them what "Sko Ridge" means.

• Friends reunite after summers apart, excited for a new school. The phrase "I'm not ready to come back to school yet!" also rang through the room.

• Two freshman bump fists while another signals for a friend to come join him.

• "You can't feel loved unless you feel known," says speaker Tyler Durman.

• Leaders demonstrate easy dance moves such as "the woah" and "the whip", then try to get the student's participation as well. Their song is "We're all in this together."

• After beginning their video, an advisory class brainstorms what they can do in their next music video scene.

• Grace Moerman encourages the freshman to enjoy making their video, saying "a few years from now you will be where I am and you will say you did 'The Greatest Showman' for yours and you will laugh about it."

• Marching into the Flex Lab, the video creation process begins. Students filled the halls, stariways, labs, and outside to make their lip synchs.

• Dancing to the song, "Footloose," Degear's class joined in with each turn in a flash mob style.

• Following the style of Fossil's 2018 Lip Dub, singers walk towards the camera while others pose in the background.

• Although many were reluctant to participate in their lip synch at first, as more ideas came students gained more confidence and got into it.

• Small groups of students mouthed words to their songs, often looking up lyrics to faster sections.

• Sanford's advisory class watches their video of "Hakuna Matata" as they finish early.