LucasFilm

After the disappointment of the slow paced second episode, the third episode is refreshing.

Rotten Potatoes: The Heiress brings redemption

The following review contains spoilers for Season Two of The Mandalorian.

After being slightly let down by the previous episode, Chapter Eleven: The Heiress of The Mandalorian brought the redemption I was waiting for. Although the flow of the episode was not much different than any other Mandalorian chapter, the plot progression renewed my excitement for Season Two. 

In my previous review of Chapter Ten, I hypothesized that it would take the entire season for Din Djarin to find other Mandalorians. I created this theory based on the slow pacing of the first two episodes of the season. However, I was pleasantly surprised to discover he found not one, but three Mandalorians in this chapter. Not only do they advance the plot more than any episode, but they also provide a fresh perspective on what it means to be a Mandalorian.

The Heiress’ opening was a surprise reference to every film in the Star Wars trilogies. The first shot shows a bright planet with the vast darkness of space behind it. Then, the shadow of a ship creeps onto the screen, creating the visual of a partial eclipse. In all nine Star Wars episodes, every movie had some form of this shot after the opening crawl. Chapter Eleven shares this same visual. 

However, it is quickly differentiated from the trilogies as the Razor Crest struggles on its way, with doors wide open and chunks of hardware flying off the ship. This opening was special for me because it brought back the nostalgia of seeing a new trilogy film in theaters. It also sets the tone for the episode, as it contains constant references to past Star Wars lore. 

I appreciate that the writers took so much time to think about how the Razor Crest’s landing would work with it barely being held together. I was surprised to see Frog Lady completely abandon her eggs to help Djarin manually land. At the end of Episode Ten, I thought for sure she suspected The Child was snacking. Therefore, I expected her to at least keep one hand on the eggs at all times. With all the details included in the rest of the episode, I felt that moment was missing.

After a chaotic plummet, I was overcome with relief when the Razor Crest slows at the last minute. Unfortunately, an engine blows right after, tossing the ship into the sea. I completely lost it when I saw this, as it has been the most relatable moment of the show. The ship was barely holding it together, and just when the characters regained control, they were chucked into the water. If that scene is not a metaphor for 2020, I do not know what is. 

Unexpectedly, I adored the reuniting of the frog couple. For being two puppets, I could still feel every emotion as they called out and searched for one another. Never did I think I would become so invested in a frog couple’s relationship, but apparently that day has come. Their reunion was so sweet, as they ran to each other with open arms into an embrace. I believe everyone has experienced being reunited with a loved one like this at some point, after being separated for so long. I loved how this moment brought back all those warm, fuzzy memories.

When in the cantina, I enjoyed the moment of The Child with his chowder. He held a spoon which is unusual for his character, as he is more of a fan of slurping. However, he shortly abandons that method which was a funny detail. When the live cephalopod within the soup jumps out to attack The Child, Djarin observes the situation and simply responds by saying, “Don’t play with your food.” Watching the growing dynamic between Djarin and The Child has been a delight, and moments like this remind me of one of my favorite things about the series. 

Once on the boat to find other mandalorians, the ambush was a very unexpected twist. I literally screamed when The Child’s pod was kicked into the mouth of the mamacore. This moment of tension, followed by the reveal of the mandalorians, was an exciting way to introduce the new heroes. I was especially excited to see Bo-Katan being brought to the screen, who is from The Clone Wars series. Season Two has been full of even more connections to the Star Wars universe than Season One, and these details make every chapter exciting. 

Once again, to continue on his quest, Djarin had to go on a mission. While this one was my favorite so far, the show has begun to feel a bit repetitive. This favor for a favor idea is exciting at first, but it has gotten old quicker than expected. I like that each episode has its own mini storyline within the greater storyline, but I was hoping for a bit more variety from Season Two.

However, I cannot deny that this mission was the most entertaining yet. I loved seeing Djarin work with other mandalorians, as together they are unstoppable. Also, as much as I love the dynamic of Djarin with The Child, it was fun to see him completing dangerous tasks again, and not just babysitting.

Overall, this episode was a breath of fresh air compared to Chapter Ten. It felt a lot more exciting, and the pacing was significantly better. I hope that the storyline changes soon; This season will not be very good as a whole if it is too repetitive. Despite this, The Heiress is still an exciting edition to Season Two.

Etched in Stone • Copyright 2021 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Activate Search