Fossil loses 2-1 thriller to Boulder in overtime


Fossil keeper Alexandre Seguin walking off the field after Boulder’s game winning goal

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Writer

On September 21, 2021, the Fossil Ridge soccer team lost a heartbreaker against Boulder High 2-1 in overtime.

The Sabercats played this game extremely close, against the talented Boulder Panthers. Despite Boulder being ranked third in Colorado, Fossil never backed down and were always competitive in the game.

Fossil captain Lance Hoyt taking a free kick

The first half was possession based, with neither team getting good, consistent scoring opportunities. Fossil looked strong in this early period, playing with higher energy and getting to the ball quicker than the Boulder players.

Fossil would be the first to score, with senior captain Will Boyle able to bury it in the 50th minute. The Sabercat players, coaches, and fans were brought to their feet, as the energy immediately spiked in support of the team.

After the goal, Boulder played with a larger sense of urgency. The sustained pressure eventually led to a goal, tying the game in the 58th minute.

Fossil coach Dan Weiss talking to his time before overtime

Both teams sensed the tension in the air, as emotions and physicality picked up after the second goal. Several players on both teams went down and had to be pulled from the game, with the players laying it all the field in order to win.


Despite scoring opportunities for both sides late into the game, after 80 minutes of action the score remained tied 1-1. 

During overtime, Fossil started flying all over the field, eager to get a goal and end the game. This aggressive play style cost them, as Boulder got behind the defense in a prime scoring opportunity. In response, keeper Alexandre Seguin came out of the goal to meet the attacker. Instead of getting a clean hit on the ball, Seguin made contact with the Boulder player, resulting in a penalty kick.

Fossil players disputing the penalty kick call in overtime

The Fossil side was outraged with the call due to the play being similar to a play made by the Boulder keeper on a Fossil attacker. Several players would air their grievances to the referee, resulting in a yellow card. The call was controversial enough that head coach Dan Weiss spoke with the referees after the conclusion of the game.

On the ensuing penalty kick, Alexandre Seguin would make the initial save, however the ball bounced right back to the Boulder player, ending the long night for both teams.

Senior forward Nathan Riess in disbelief after the game

The Sabercat players were clearly dejected, after playing a great game against a challenging opponent. 

Fossil will look to bounce back as they take on the 6-1 Poudre Impalas on September 28.