Sabercats win in stellar shootout, advance to 2nd round

Fossil muscles past Cherry Creek in the first round of the playoffs

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Writer

On October 27, 2021, the Fossil Ridge soccer team defeated the Cherry Creek Bruins in a shootout in the opening round of the playoffs.

These two teams came into this game evenly matched, with Cherry Creek ranked 16th and Fossil 17th. Fossil came in seeking revenge, as the Sabercats faced off against the Bruins earlier in the year, where Cherry Creek won 2-1.

Fossil started off the scoring late in the first half, as senior Pedro Peres buried a penalty shot into the net. Cherry Creek responded less than three minutes into the second half, finally getting a shot past goaltender Alexander Seguin.

Both the Sabercats and the Bruins were held scoreless for the last 40 minutes of regulation, and the extra 30 minutes of overtime. These nail biting circumstances carried a lot of weight, but Fossil felt comfortable and ready to win.

“We played with a lot of passion and we always believed in ourselves. We played for each other because we’re all like family,” Seguin said.

Fossil didn’t allow a goal for 70 minutes despite giving up several key scoring opportunities. The Sabercats won this game mainly due to goaltender Alexander Seguin, who made big saves down the stretch which kept Fossil tied.

“It’s not easy, but I’ve got a lot of experience in big games…I just have to stay calm and get along with saving these. I think it’s normal to feel a little nervous but you have to get over that and be productive,” Seguin said.

Once the shootout started, the Sabercats looked dominant, scoring on all 4 of their penalty kick attempts. Seguin saved two of the three shots he faced, with Fossil winning the game 1-1(4-1 shootout). 

“…this was my first penalty shootout…there’s nothing to lose, this is my senior season and I’m going to do it for all my teammates because this is what we deserve and we earned together,” Seguin said.

Fossil will play their second round match against Boulder, who they lost to earlier this season 2-1 in overtime. The game will be at Boulder High School on November 2 at 7 PM.