Fossil volleyball ends season, loses regional tournament

Danielle Burchett and Quinn VanMaanen after a point. VanMaanen just finished her final season and Burchett will be entering her senior season next year.

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Writer

The Fossil Ridge Volleyball season came to a close after falling short in the regional tournament for the third year in a row.

Fossil’s day was over before it got going, as Rock Canyon defeated the Sabercats immediately after beating Denver South earlier in the day to advance in the tournament. 

The Sabercats went on to defeat Denver South 2-1 in the last match of the regional tournament, finishing second in the regional tournament for the second year in a row, but unable to earn a bid into the state tournament.

Fossil’s volleyball team had another season to remember, as they finished the year 17-8 and 10-1 in conference play. They were able to go undefeated against the other city teams, defeating Rocky, Poudre, and Fort Collins twice. Another major highlight was beating the third ranked Grandview Wolves 3-2 during a tournament late in the year.

The Sabercats have three graduating seniors in Mirissa Ogimachi, Kenzie Hicks, and Quinn VanMaanen, who have now played their final games as part of the Fossil program.

The rest of Fossil’s varsity is currently made up of three juniors and four sophomores. The Sabercats will have a large amount of their roster returning next year, and will be looking for the final pieces to win the Front Range League and get them back to the state tournament.