Sabercats earn fourth straight win, reach first ever State Finals

Seniors Will Boyle and Quinn Ybarra after their semifinal win on November 10, 2021

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Writer

The Fossil Ridge soccer team defeated Castle View 2-1 in overtime in the semifinals of the state tournament, advancing to the finals for the first time in team history.

The game started slowly, as both teams failed to score during the first half. Castle View scored first off a penalty kick, taking the lead with under thirty minutes remaining in the second half.

Fossil players celebrating their overtime victory

Fossil turned the tide, aggressively pushing to tie the game. The Sabercats eventually broke through with a goal from senior Will Boyle, his second goal of the postseason.

“We started dominating the game, and I knew if we could just get one that we would win the game…when I scored I was so relieved, I was so confident we were going to win,” Boyle said.

With the game tied, the Sabercats headed into overtime for the fourth straight game. The tie would be broken early, as senior midfielder Quinn Ybarra buried a loose ball into the back of the net, winning the game and sending Fossil to the finals of the state tournament.

“I’m never the one to go and score these, but we all believe in each other and I’m happy to do my part and help the team win,” Ybarra said.

Senior Lars Bergo overcome with emotion after Fossil earned their first state finals appearance

The Fossil players are ecstatic to make it to the finals of the 5A state tournament, given the difficult past couple years for Sabercats soccer.

“I’ve been doing this since I was a freshman here, we got snubbed out of the playoffs last year, sophomore got knocked out in the second round, it’s really a dream come true,” Ybarra said.

The Fossil players have now adopted the motto of “We Believe”, which demonstrates the team’s resilience. Despite being the road team in every game, and needing to play past regulation for every win, they keep fighting to keep the dream alive.

Fossil’s motto of “We Believe” has spiked the energy and confidence in the team

“People sleep on us since we’re the 17 seed, but we don’t care…this is what happens when you believe; you make the state finals,” Boyle said.

Fossil Ridge will take on Grandview in the 5A State Championship on Saturday, November 13 at the Switchbacks Weidner Field in Colorado Springs at 11:45 AM.