Sabercats lose hard-fought battle against Berthoud

Freshman Gianna Leone going up for a contested layup against several Berthoud defenders

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Writer

The Fossil Ridge Girls Basketball Team lost to the undefeated Berthoud Spartans 52-46 after a back and forth contest.

Berthoud started the game strong, limiting the Sabercats’ offense to seven points in the first quarter. Fossil played smart, aggressive defense in response, but still trailed 12-7 after the first eight minutes.

The Sabercats mounted a comeback during the second quarter, cutting the lead to three points at halftime. Both teams started to play better on offense, combining for thirty points during the second quarter, as Berthoud maintained their lead at 26-23 heading into the half.

Guard Kaycee Steinke dribbling past her defender

The Spartans were able to widen their lead over Fossil in the second half, coming out of the break strong. Berthoud won the third quarter 20-12, bringing their lead up to double digits for the first time.

Fossil would mount a scoring run late, making back-to-back three pointers to cut the deficit down to three points with under a minute left. Unfortunately, the Sabercats were never able to complete the comeback as Berthoud widened the lead back to six points when the final buzzer sounded.

The Sabercats now fall to 3-3, with all three of their losses coming to opponents who are undefeated at the time of this article. This also marks Fossil’s final game before the Winter Break. Their next game is scheduled for January 4, 2022 on the road against the Lakewood Tigers.