Fossil defeats Broomfield in tenth straight win

Will Hemme(left) and Domenic Leone(right) on Tuesday’s game against Broomfield

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Writer

The Fossil Ridge High School Boys’ Basketball team continued their winning ways, defeating the Broomfield High School Eagles 61-32, and improving their record to 15-1.

The game had an electric atmosphere, as the cheerleaders, band, and student section all showed up in droves. The buzz and passion coming from the Fossil gym was something truly special. As a result, the players knew they had to bring their A game.

“I love it, it’s great…the fans, parents, and the band here playing for us, it’s great. Nothing better to do than playing basketball here, with our school supporting us…I hope we go a long way for these guys,” said senior Will Hemme.

The Sabercats knew they were in for a battle against the Eagles, entering the game with a 9-5 record and winning their last two games by a combined 49 points. However, Fossil came out ready to play and started the game with an unreal 32-2 scoring run. 

“We want to play Fossil basketball, and Fossil basketball is playing tough, not letting anybody in our home place and beat us…the defensive stand we put up goes into what the coaches are teaching us and what they’re implementing…it’s within all of us, we just want to buckle down and not let anybody beat us,” Hemme said.

Will Hemme is one of two seniors on the team, along with fellow guard Brock Mishak

Hemme contributed 12 points on 4-4 shooting and added three assists. He was one of four Fossil players who ended the game with 10 or more points. This game was a team effort for Fossil, keeping the energy and excitement high throughout.

“It’s about wanting it for each other…me and Brock [Mishak] being the only two seniors this is our last chance so why not give it your all every chance you get,” Hemme said.

Fossil will have a big game at home on Friday, January 28, when they play cross-town rival Fort Collins High School.