Sabercats come up big in back-to-back wins

Senior Maddie Kohler during Fossil’s game against Poudre.

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Writer

The Fossil Ridge High School Girls Basketball team increased their winning streak to six after a pair of wins over city opponents. 

Before Fossil’s game against Poudre High School on Friday, there were plenty of obstacles facing the players. One factor was weather, as a snowstorm caused the game against Rocky Mountain High School to be delayed, along with a missed day of practice. If that was not enough, the storm also led to a pipe bursting outside the entrance of the gym. As the hall and part of the gym floor were flooded, there was a high probability that the game could be moved. However, the game went on as scheduled, as the Fossil players were able to block out the external factors and focus on the game.

“We just use our positivity to keep the motivation up and watch each other’s backs,” said sophomore Ella Lavigne. 

Lavigne was dominant as the Sabercats defeated the Poudre Impalas 49-22. She scored 13 points while adding 10 rebounds, for her second double-double of the season. 

Sophomore Ella Lavigne driving into the lane. Lavigne leads the Sabercats in rebounds, averaging 8.7 rebounds per game.

However Fossil did not have time to celebrate, as they played another in-city rival in the form of Rocky Mountain. The Sabercats were well-prepared, and shocked the Lobos, leading 21-9 after the first quarter. Fossil would hold onto that lead, going onto win 68-40, for their sixth straight win. Lavigne racked up her second double-double in two days, with 18 points and 11 rebounds, as she continued to control the paint.

“I just hustle, always going after the ball…I just jump and hope I get it,” Lavigne said.

The Sabercats will put their winning streak on the line as they face off against Horizon at home on Tuesday, February 8.