Sabercats balloon winning streak to ten in blowout win

Jessica Rockwell, alongside Maddie Kohler, are the two seniors on this Fossil Ridge team.

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Writer

The Fossil Ridge High School girls basketball team defeated Fairview High School 65-40, winning their tenth straight game. 

Fossil struggled early in the first half, leading by nine after scoring only 27 points in the first 16 minutes. However the Sabercats picked it up during the second half, scoring another 38 points in the second half, scoring another victory in their final regular season home game. 

One of the players who showed out during the contest was senior guard, Jessica Rockwell. With this being possibly Fossil’s final home game of the year, Rockwell had time to reflect on her season and entire career at Fossil.

“It started out a little rough, but we have one of the hardest schedules in the state…we’ve had to overcome a lot of hard games. After a couple tough losses we bounced back and figured it out. [My favorite part of my career at Fossil] was getting to play with different players at different levels, having a blast each and every year,” Rockwell said. 

Senior Jessica Rockwell is known for her fantastic defense, leading the team in steals.

However, the Sabercats have another chance at a home game this season. As Fossil is currently ranked in thirteenth place in the 5A CHSAA RPI Rankings, they are scheduled to not only receive a home playoff game, but also a first round bye, meaning they won’t have to play until Friday, February 25. Fossil looks to make a run in this postseason, as they hope to reach the semifinals for the first time since 2018.

“We really want to make it to the [Denver] Coliseum and the Elite Eight, if we can go further that would be awesome,” Rockwell said.