Fossil flies into Final Four after double-digit win

The Fossil Ridge Sabercats walking into the locker room.

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Writer

It is more of the same, as Fossil Ridge High School won their Great Eight matchup against Legacy High School 80-54.

The Sabercats played Legacy earlier in the year, winning that game 71-39. Less than a month later, Fossil was prepped to play a very different team. The Legacy Lightning rolled into the matchup defeating two top ten teams in their last two playoff games.

Despite their opponent’s enormous momentum, Fossil controlled the pace from the opening tip. The Sabercats have struggled to build leads early in their first two playoff games. However, the team flipped the script, leading the contest 44-22 at halftime.

“That lead was everything. We came out, we want to play defense…we hang our hats on getting stops…we didn’t let them get a foothold, didn’t let them catch their breath. So very proud of this team,” said head coach, Matt Johannsen.

Aside from defense, a big part of Johannsen’s game plan and Fossil’s success was their ability to attack in close. 

“They bought into the team aspect of it. We said we wanted to get wide open close shots at the rim and we did that,” says Johannsen.

One player who the inside game benefits is junior forward, Nick Randall. Randall scored all of his points from either the post or the midrange.

“We knew we had size on them…so I knew to get the ball into the post…we do post work at practice, so get the ball to anyone and we can get easy layups,” Randall said.

Junior Nick Randall attempting a hook shot.

Fossil took that message to heart, as they delegated their scoring all over the team, with four players reaching the double digit mark.

“It’s awesome. How we run the floor, how we’re capable of scoring whenever. It’s great feelings and all that,” Randall said.

“It’s hard to game plan for a team where everybody can score…that’s what I’m most proud of. We’re hard to scout, when everybody can score, who are you going to key on? Everyone’s always saying it’s Brock [Mishak]…he’s a good player, you see it every game. But, it’s more than just Brock,” Coach Johannsen said.

Coach Matt Johannsen talking to senior Brock Mishak.

In addition to the wide spread scoring of the Sabercats, they also diversified their minutes, using a deep rotation. Fossil played ten players with regular minutes during Saturday’s game, able to play multiple different combinations and not suffer in production levels.

“Defense. We just need to defend, that’s it. We hang our hat on defense and everyone can play defense. As long as we defend, we have a chance,” Coach Johannsen said.

This year marks the first season in which the Sabercats have made the Final Four since the 2013-2014 season. As the team has vastly improved from not only last year but previous seasons, they continue their quest for the first state championship in program history.

“It’s how together they are. They like each other, they play for each other. It’s not one person trying to do everything, and you see that discord in a lot of ways,” Coach Johannsen said.

The Sabercats will now prepare to take on Chaparral in the Final Four on Friday, March 11 at 8:30 p.m. back at the Denver Coliseum. With a victory there, they will play the winner of Thunder Ridge/Denver East the next day.