Sabercats storm Holy Family, win home opener 6-1

Senior Megan Edwards fighting for a header.

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Writer

The Fossil Ridge High School’s girls soccer team defeated Holy Family High School 6-1 after a huge offensive outburst.

Fossil came into this matchup riding high, after defeating Arvada West 2-0 on the road. This game was supposed to take place at home, but had to be moved due to weather conditions. However, this made their home opener against Holy Family, the defending 4A champions, that much more important.

“I was excited all day, looking forward to this moment. Feels great to be back on our home field,” said senior, Allie Ressler.

Allie Ressler demonstrating her dribbling skills.

Ressler was the spark plug for Fossil’s offense, scoring three of their six goals, while adding one assist. She also scored both goals against Arvada West, leading the team with a phenomenal five goals in two games.

“I always put myself out there and take on their players. I want to score, I’m hungry for the goals,” Ressler said. 

This moment had been a long time coming for Ressler, a moment over two years in the making. Ressler played for the Fossil varsity team during her freshman year, and tied the team for the most goals with six. However, the path began to wind after the 2019 season, starting during her sophomore year, as the season was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Ressler scoring her first goal of the game.

Ressler was unable to play her junior year as well, as she had been suffering and then recovering from Compartment Syndrome. Compartment Syndrome is a very rare condition, caused by tissue swelling or built up pressure from internal bleeding. This has not discouraged Ressler, instead driving her to become the best she can possibly be for her team and for herself.

“I’m excited to be back, since I took a whole year off [from soccer]…I just needed a break…I’m excited for what the future for our season holds,” Ressler said.

The Sabercats next home game will be Saturday, March 23 at 3:00 p.m. against Grandview High School.