Fossil continues success, defeating Poudre 8-0

Abby Ballek after scoring her second goal of the game.

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Writer

On another cold March evening, the girls soccer team from Fossil Ridge High School did battle against Poudre High School, their cross-town rivals up north.

The Sabercats wasted no time in taking control of the game, driving three goals into the back of the net. One of the three scorers from the first half included sophomore, Abby Ballek. Ballek had already begun her offensive resume, scoring three goals in Fossil’s blowout victory one the road against Mountain Range High School. However, Ballek was not satisfied with her current goal total. In response to this dissatisfaction, she piled on three more goals in the second half, marking the Sabercats’ first four goal game of the season. Despite her incredible success, Ballek has maintains a humble attitude 

“It feels good…I feel like I’ve been getting good passes from my teammates, so that helps a lot.” Ballek said.

After winning their first two games, Fossil hit a rough patch in the next two contests, tying 0-0 with both Northfield and Grandview. However, the Sabercats were able to flip the switch when it came to league play. During their matchups against Mountain Range and Poudre, Fossil won those games by a combined score of 18-0. 

“I feel like we’re working together a lot better, we are starting to know each other a lot more,” Ballek said.

This game begins the quest to win the city, a feat which they have not accomplished since 2017, as all city titles since then have gone to Rocky Mountain High School. However, this new team feels prepared and ready to take back what they feel is theirs.

“Yeah…We’ve got a lot of good players, and we’re ready to win,” Ballek said.

The Sabercats put their talents to their test next Tuesday, looking to avenge their three game losing streak against Rocky Mountain High School at French Field.