Fossil football wins PSD stadium opener in last-minute triumph

Dylan Heinrich

Cornerback Ryan Pollyea picking off a pass in front of a scenic mountain backdrop.

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Writer

The Fossil Ridge High School football team started their season in dramatic fashion in their victory over the Loveland Wolfpack 36-35 at the PSD Stadium by the recently opened Timnath Middle-High School.

The Sabercats started the game fast, forcing a fumble on Loveland’s first possession. They immediately capitalized as senior quarterback Tyler Kubat found fellow senior Mac Busteed for the season’s first touchdown. These two picked up right where they left off last season, as they connected for 11 touchdowns last year.

Busteed picking up Kubat while celebrating a touchdown.

Things turned around quickly, as Loveland bounced back with two quick touchdowns and took a 12-7 lead over the Sabercats. 

Fossil didn’t stay down for long, scoring a pair of touchdowns, one rushing from running back Colton Pawlak, and another passing from Kubat to Busteed.

The Wolfpack added another touchdown before half, but the Sabercats still held the lead after two quarters at 22-20.

Pawlak led the way for Fossil after half, receiving a pass in the endzone to take a two possession lead. The sophomore back is prepared to take on a much larger role this season, entering as both the primary running back and kick returner.

Pawlak powering past the pylon for a touchdown.

Loveland scored twice to take back the lead at 35-29. All of the Wolfpack’s five touchdowns came on the ground, as Fossil forced them into a one dimensional game.

The Sabercats had enough time for one final drive, starting from inside their own 30 with four minutes remaining. The team put together a long running drive, filled with creative plays, long passes, and a fourth down conversion. Their final possession crescendoed with Tyler Kubat throwing to a wide open Trek Keyworth in the back of the endzone, taking the lead for a final time.

Keyworth leading the celebration after the win.

“I just had to trust the coordinators…our offense came together…we were able to come out with the win,” Keyworth said.

Now that Loveland was forced to throw the ball with time running out, Fossil Ridge was able to shut down their aerial attack. The Sabercats shut the door with a big interception by senior Ryan Pollyea, his second of the day.

Pollyea scoring his second interception of the game.

“I was just thinking about all the hard work we’ve put in over the offseason, it’s paid off so much, it’s an amazing feeling,” Pollyea said.

This marks only the second time in the last six years that the Sabercats have opened the season with a win, demonstrating their encouraging and continuing progress.

They put their winning record on the line in an elite matchup against the third ranked Grandview High School at home on Thursday, September 1.