Fossil drops outing against No. 3 Grandview in humbling fashion

Bryce Holcombe

Quarterback Tyler Kubat before the game.

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Writer

The Fossil Ridge Sabercats fell in their matchup against the third ranked Grandview Wolves 49-17 on Thursday, September 1.

The Sabercats found themselves behind early, after failing to score on their first two drives, and allowing two touchdowns the other way. After the first quarter Grandview led 14-0. 

Things didn’t improve early in the second, as Grandview intercepted a pass to stop a Sabercats drive into their territory. The Wolves immediately turned around, scoring in less than a minute and jumping ahead three scores. 

Turnovers were a problem for Fossil all night, giving the ball away twice which resulted in 14 points. 

Fossil preparing to snap the ball. (Bryce Holcombe)

The Sabercats got their first touchdown on the board late in the first half, as seniors Tyler Kubat and Trek Keyworth connected for their second touchdown of the season. 

Kubat entered the game as the second leading passer in the state, and Keyworth finished week one as the third leading receiver. 

Grandview bounced back with a touchdown of their own, scoring one minute before halftime.

With almost no time on the clock, Fossil drove down the field all the way to Wolves’ 24. With time expiring, kicker Bryce Olson was able to knock a field goal through the uprights to cut the lead down to 28-10.

Grandview came out of the gates strong, rushing the ball 80 yards on a single play for another touchdown. The Wolves were consistently able to bust out long plays against Fossil, as five of their touchdowns came from over twenty yards. 

The Fossil defense rushing the passer. (Bryce Holcombe)

The Sabercats were able to tack on one more touchdown in the second half, as Kubat found senior kicker and receiver Bryce Olson. 

Grandview was able to tack on two more touchdowns before the game ended, finding the end zone on every completed drive.

Heading into the next game, Fossil knows that this loss is not the end of their season. The team has experience bouncing back from losses, as they started 1-4 last year but then went on to win four of their last five regular season games to get back to .500. 

The Sabercats look ahead to next week’s big Homecoming matchup against Brighton High School on September 9.