Fossil suffers defeat in home opener against Windsor

Dylan Heinrich

Fossil coach Natalie Burton speaking with her team during Tuesday’s loss.

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Writer

During their first home game of the season, the Fossil Ridge Sabercats lost three sets to none against the Windsor Wizards.

The environment was electric from the start, with both fan bases having large, rowdy student sections. The festivities started before the first serve, as the students helped sing the national anthem after technical issues. 

Both teams fed off the surroundings, showing high levels of intensity. The Sabercats started on top, boasting a 12-7 lead early in the first set. Windsor turned the tables, going on an 18-9 run to win the set in comeback fashion.

After the first set, Fossil changed their strategy, switching out the libero position from senior Bella Kiefer to sophomore Amalee Doyle. The decision paid immediate dividends, as Fossil opened the second set on a 9-0 run, including an ace from Kiefer. The Wizards fought back once again, only trailing 22-19. The Sabercats couldn’t hold onto that lead though, giving up six straight points and losing the second set by three.

The Sabercats lineup standing for the national anthem. (Dylan Heinrich)

Windsor kept the momentum rolling, opening up the third set on an 11-5 run. The Sabercats tried to close the gap, but were unable to do so in time. The Wizards would emerge victorious in the last set 25-22, completing the sweep against Fossil Ridge.

With this loss against Windsor, the number four team in 4A, this marks the fifth opponent against a top ten team in 5A or 4A. While this pristine competition certainly tests the Sabercats ability and pushes them to their limit, it does no favor to their record, as through six games they sit even at 3-3.

Fossil looks to push above that mark when they face off this Thursday at home against Legacy High School in their first league matchup of the season.