Fossil kicks off team tournament with back-to-back home wins

Senior singles player Andrew Roerty during warmups.

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Writer

No. 4 Fossil Ridge tennis defeated No. 13 Rock Canyon 7-0 and No. 5 Arapahoe 5-2 in the opening rounds of the playoffs.

This marks the first game that Fossil played in the newly implemented team tournament bracket. In previous years, everyone gathered for a large individual tournament, in which seeding is based not on the team but instead on personal performance. Afterwards the results from the individuals are compiled for a team and the highest overall earner is awarded the state title. 

The new format will be similar to a set of dual meets, where members from the same two schools will face off in their respective slots. After the full seven matches, the team with more wins will advance in the tournament.

The Sabercats found success in their opening round matchup against Rock Canyon, as Fossil won all seven matchups. A standout was the three doubles team Nick Doing and Christian Miller. The duo won their match with a dominant showing of 6-1, 6-2.

“The athletic director was there, we played the national anthem, it felt like a spectator sport. It was cool to be a part of the first 5A boys’ team state championship,” Doing said.

Doing preparing for his matchup against Rock Canyon.

The team went back to work on Saturday, facing a much tougher test against No. 5 Arapahoe High School. The team had experience with Arapahoe, including placing above them during the Greeley West Tournament earlier this year.

The Sabercats continued their momentum, including five match wins against their fifth ranked foe. 

A big advantage of the team style is that it allows for a more personal location. While the individual tournament was always held in Denver, the opening rounds for the team tournament were held at home sites.

The path diverges for Fossil Ridge, with their next match being the individual regionals at North Lake Park in Loveland on October 6-7. 

In the team tournament, Fossil will face off against No. 1 Cherry Creek on the road one Tuesday, October 11.