Drama Club off to exciting start

Drama Club off to exciting start

[slideshow_deploy id=’9850′]

Just two weeks into the school year and Fossil’s Drama Club is off to a great start. Their first meeting was on Friday, August 28, and upperclassmen were excited to see many new faces at their second meeting last Friday. Drama participants are gearing up for their fall production, Our Town. Before kicking off their Audition Workshop on September 4, Mrs. Kochis met everyone with a surprise as she announced her return to school next semester and the spring musical, West Side Story.

Drama Club sponsor Mrs. Rust explained that they chose the plays based on the difficulty of tech production for each, as Our Town requires minimal props and West Side Story has such a large amount the theatre department needs as much time to prepare as possible. The most important job of the cast of Our Town will be connecting with the audience and allowing them to use their imagination to understand the major themes of the play.

The meeting last Friday was an Audition Workshop held to give pointers to kids who want to try out for the play. Drama President, Ryan Wilke-Braun, and Drama Vice President David Flint told tales of their first auditions, acted out what not to do, and described the best ways to go about auditioning for a play. Their most important lessons include being confident, taking risks, and coming prepared. They also taught members about cold reads, which is reading a part for the very first time in front of the directors, and the way casting works at Fossil Ridge.

M. Brown, Improv Officer, led everyone in a lesson on pantomiming, a major skill needed for Our Town. He described how to pretend to throw a shoe, climb a ladder, and the differences between sitting in a chair and sitting on a toilet.

Anyone is welcome to come to Drama Club, which meets on Fridays, after school from 3:00 – 4:30 in the Black Box. Auditions for Our Town are open to students who haven taken a drama class or have one on their schedule for this year. Anyone wishing to try out must fill out an application, which can be found on the bulletin board outside the Drama Office. Auditions are September 8-11, and Our Town will be showing in the school auditorium November 12-14.