Photo provided by Mitchell Hoog
Photo provided by Mitchell Hoog

Humans of Fossil: Mitchell Hoog

Photo provided by Mitchell Hoog
Photo provided by Mitchell Hoog

Many people in Fort Collins know that Fossil is popular for the amount of students that are into  snowboarding. So after this first dump of snow, it wasn’t surprising to hear about how many students had traveled up into the Rocky Mountains to shred.

One student in particular who is turning his dreams into a reality is Mitchell Hoog. After putting in years and years of hard work and dedication trying to perfect his talent, he is finally starting to see a break in the road. “Snowboarding has always been something I love and then a few years ago once high school came and school got more stressful and drama began to play a role in my life I got even more attached to it. That feeling of your best friends with the sun out and music going, it just doesn’t get any better than that.” You could say Mitchell is a well known guy not only at here at Fossil, but within all Fort Collins as well. He believes strongly in that fact that he doesn’t want to live his life exploring and creating and living in the moment for something as materialistic as money. He said, “I have one life and a desk job just to make money isn’t worth my time.” It is not that he has an egotistical reputation to maintain being a pro snowboarder but he believes in his morals and in his passion for the thing he loves and isn’t going to set that passion aside in order to follow what most people end up doing with their lives.

Mitchell’s family is not like every other, and they are very honest with each other. His dad, who is one of the most important people in his life, has given him some words that he will never let go of which were, “Hey I’m proud of you for breaking the mold buddy,” Mitchell following, “What mold?” “The mold of life, high school to college to a job to a family.” That right there was one of the most inspiring conversations he has had with his father, and he uses that as his motivation to keep working for what he wants. Mitchell knows exactly what he wants for his future, but edges are still a bit fuzzy. He is one of the top snowboarders for his age so he plans to keep training to keep that title and hopefully go somewhere with it.

You might have thought, so what if this kid is good at snowboarding? But what you didn’t know is that he is a triple threat. Along with the winter sport and getting through high school in one piece, this talented student has also broken his way into the modeling industry. “During the summer I was in LA and did some business with different agents and managements. Last month I signed with a private agency in LA and have meetings in December with managements for Miami and New York. I always hate saying I ‘model’ because everyone says that. But as of right now I am working with big time brands and plan on making that bigger and bigger. “ As you can see, this young man knows what he’s up to, and doesn’t mind treading a different path than everyone else in order to make things happen for himself that he genuinely enjoys doing.

Mitchell Hoog is not one to sit back and watch things happen, in spite of all of the great opportunities presented in front of him, he honestly just wants to do what makes him happy and that is exactly the path he is walking. Only great things lie ahead for him, and just watch, one day you might look up and see his face and name lit up on a billboard somewhere.

Photo provided by Mitchell Hoog
Photo provided by Mitchell Hoog