Boys Swim and Dive: a look ahead

Boys Swim and Dive: a look ahead

4963614
MAY 15, 2015- Colorado state boys swimming and diving championship-Air Force Academy (Photo by www.fossilridgeswimminganddiving.weebly.com)

Coming off of an overall very successful season for the Fossil Ridge Boys Swim and Dive team, each of the 40+ members were ecstatic for the season to start up again as anticipation has been building up for this upcoming swim season since the moment last year’s state title was presented to the boys.

Last season, boys Swim and Dive had some of the best swimmers in the state including all-state swimmer Danny Kovac as well as several progressing former swimmers and divers that have been dedicated to the team since the start of their high school careers. FRHS has always been a very competitive swim team and have not lost a swim meet for over two straight seasons. Mark Morehouse, the head coach, works each of his swimmers hard from the very start of the season until the very end to ensure that every single swimmer on the team improves. Morehouse believes that hard work is the key to success and repeatedly reminds his swimmers that “if they do not do everything they are supposed to do in preparation, they are not only hurting themselves but hurting their team overall.”

Preseason swimming means the regular season is inching closer and closer. The team knows that preparation is important in order to have a successful season, therefore each member works as hard as they can to make sure they are ready for the season ahead. The team practices every Tuesday and Thursday from 3:00 p.m to 4:15 p.m and every minute spent is important for the physical preparation for the season.

This upcoming season holds many anticipated meets and events including the annual city meet, which FRHS has a reputation for dominating every season. The travel meet, which is mainly a meet for teammates to bond and form chemistry with each other, and is also a meet that the whole team looks forward to every season. On a more serious note, the conference swim meet is one of the most anticipated of all, excluding the state meet. Conference determines if the team is ready to compete for a state title.

Morehouse is working his swimmers in hopes that by the time February comes around, each swimmer is ready to jump in the water and perform. The current goal is to physically and mentally prepare the boys for what is ahead of them, and so far the team off to a great start, on the road to hopefully bringing another state title to Fossil Ridge High School.