Cats to college night

‘Cats to college night

20160125_193313
Letters from colleges. Photo Credit: Serena Bettis

The ‘Cats to College Night will be held on Wednesday, January 27 in the Commons at Fossil Ridge High School. This is a small college fair that is open to ninth through twelfth grade students and parents. One of the best opportunities for students to get answers to questions they have about admissions to colleges from direct representatives of a specific college. The fair will go from 5-6 pm, with a key note speech from Bryan Whish, the CSU Director of Admissions, at 6:00 p.m. Parents and students can choose to stay later in order to attend two series of breakout sessions, each thirty minutes long, from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.

As the end of the school year and college application deadlines approach, fewer colleges come to visit Fossil. ‘Cats to College Night is one of the few chances left for students to learn and view places they might want to attend school, along with opportunities for underclassmen or juniors to learn more about what certain colleges are looking for in applicants. These are important decision making processes that take time, which is the main reason the College and Career Center urges students to attend college visits and fairs while they have at least a year left of high school.

Over twenty colleges will be at the fair, including local schools, the NAVY ROTC, Hastings College, and Western State University. All breakout sessions will be offered both times, and they center around topics that involve college planning for specific grades, expanding college search options, applying to selective colleges, and writing applications. See Mrs. Nye in the Career Center for more information, or email her at [email protected].