Girl swimmers dominate at conference

Girl swimmers dominate at conference

FB_IMG_1454871626446
Fossil’s Swim and Dive team at their conference meet Saturday, February 6. Photo Credit: Erin Carson

Fossil Ridge High School’s Girls Swimming and Diving team took first place at the Front Range League (FRL) conference Saturday, February 6. With a score of 870.5, the team dominated against other local schools, considering Rocky Mountain High School came in second with a score of 575.

Individually, Fossil girls won the 200 medley relay, the 200 IM, 100 butterfly, 50 free, and the 400 free relay. Second place was achieved in the 200 free, 100 free, 100 backstroke, and 200 free relay. Fossil’s diver, Nicole Schember, had a total of 419 points, granting her fourth place overall. Completely sweeping the 200 IM, Bailey Kovac, Bayley Stewart, and Cameron Kovac all had times within four seconds of each other, with Cameron Kovac trailing Stewart by milliseconds.

Coleen Gillilan, Savannah French, Madeline Mason, and  Bailey Kovac had a time of 3:36.62 in the 400 free relay, which was a full eight seconds ahead of Legacy High School. Fossil came out on top in two relays and was only two seconds behind the winners of the 200 free relay.

“We all did great individually and as a team. Lots of people got new best times,” said Megan Petrilla, sophomore, “We are hopeful that we will win state for a third time.” Jayden Glover, who took third in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:07.05, was named the FRL Swimmer of the Year. This conference win is Fossil’s sixth year in a row, and they are currently the defending State Champions. Come out and support Fossil’s girl swimmers as they defend their title in the 2016 state championships Saturday, February 13 at the Edora Pool Ice Center in Fort Collins.

[socialpoll id=”2330448″]