Photo provided by Bryan Lockner
Photo provided by Bryan Lockner

Sabercats take the ice

Fossil is very well known for its Varsity boys basketball team holding 5A leading scorer Braxton Bertolette, its football team backed with quarterback Griffin Roberts, but not as much for its collection of hockey players who are drafted onto a team which rosters unbelievably talented players from around the district.

Photo provided by Noah Brownel
Photo Credit: Noah Brownel

Seven of our own students are on Fossil’s team roster, and all play a pivotal role in the team’s success throughout their seasons. Noah Brownell an avid athlete, plays forward for Fossil and is very excited to play this spring now that he is a senior, “I have been playing for about 12 years. I played rec for most of my hockey career and then played for RCS this year as a senior. I started playing hockey for the Junior Eagles when I was about 6 and I just fell in love with the game.” Noah isn’t the only senior that will be taking the ice this year, he’ll be skating alongside Garrett Devine, one of the strongest center icemen on the team and Kyle Plantz Fossils very solid goalie.

Photo provided by Kyle Plantz
Photo Credit: Kyle Plantz

The Fossil Ridge coaching staff this season is stellar, headed by Mark Devine. The Cats are confident going into the season knowing that they are supported by the great coaches, and expect nothing but a strong run in regular season play.

Photo provided by Bryan Lockner
Photo Credit: Bryan Lockner

Along with practices for Fossil’s team and the games which start up soon, most of these guys also play on competitive club teams. Bryan Lockner, a sophomore here has been playing since he could stand up on skates; playing for the Thunderbirds which is a very technically skilled travel team, he has become one of the most reliable players here in the district. Bryan will be playing next to fellow sophomore and former teammate Hunter Perratt, who also plays club hockey. Both Bryan and Hunter are looking forward to the season and can’t wait to put some teams away with the killer roster they have mustered up this spring.

Photo provided by Hunter Perratt
Photo Credit: Hunter Perratt

Even with the talent that the upperclassmen bring to the ice, freshman Owen Lockner can’t be overlooked when talking about the team. Owen following in his brother’s’ footsteps, is looking forward to representing Fossil and bringing his high level of play to the team. “I have been playing hockey for about 9 years, when I first started out I played for the Junior Eagles with my brother Bryan and we won the first ever NCYH State Championship and I also played for the Colorado Thunderbirds. I found my love for the game when I watched my older brothers Dylon and Jordan Lockner play for Fossil Ridge when they were in high school.” He is a defenseman, and is more than ready to play this Friday and start the season of with a win.

“I started playing hockey when I was seven. I love to play and when I am out on the ice nothing else matters. The Fossil team is more of a fun season after having a hard CHSAA season,” commented Blake Baer, a junior Cat. Currently he is only playing for Fossil, but isn’t sure what position he will be playing quite yet. “It is a good group of guys, it is kind of low key because it isn’t a school team but I am looking forward to having a good time with them.”  

Photo provided by Garrett Devine

Photo provided by Garrett Devine
Photos Credit: Garrett Devine

Being a goal scoring and also goal stopping key player, Garrett Devine is a game changer not only for the Fossil team but for his club team as well. With great puck handling skills, and fierce speed, Devine is not only creative in the offensive half making plays and creating aggressive attacking opportunities, but also gets back and helps defend his goal giving one hundred and ten percent every time he steps onto the ice. He is looking forward to this season being one of the seniors, “I am hoping that we can go out and play like we know how to and bury team after team.”

Fossil’s first game is this Friday vs North Alliance Varsity 2 at 7:30 at the Promenade in Westminster.  Come out and support the Cats as they take on their first opponent, it’s always great to see students in the stands supporting our Fossil Ridge teams.