Fossil takes on Poudre; took the win in an eventful overtime game.  Photo Credit: Emma Donovan
Fossil takes on Poudre; took the win in an eventful overtime game. Photo Credit: Emma Donovan

Fossil Ridge Football earns ‘City Champion’ title

Fossil Ridge Student Section. Photo provided by Kevin Lytle

For the first time in the schools history, Fossil Ridge football has swept this city. After a win under the lights on Friday, September 16 on French Field over cross town rival Poudre (2-2) with a final score of 35-28 in OT, Fossil made a statement that this year they are back better than ever with now a (3-0) record.

In the opening drive, Fossil quarterback Griffin Roberts found junior Donovan Murphree on third and ten; the fans went wild, and the bleachers rumbled with deafening excitement as Murphree ran 90 yards through Poudre defense to score the first touchdown of the game. Not a bad birthday present for Murphree as the Sabercats took an early 7-0 lead.

Poudre responded quickly, following Evan Bergerson as he put away an extra point for Fossil, with James Campbell running 28 yards to score, evening the game at 7-7 with 7:53 left in the first quarter.

Fossil got the ball back and made their way down the field with Brandon Spraberry picking up running yards along with Roberts with yardage of his own. Roberts again, connected with Murphree on another touchdown pass to push the Sabercats ahead 14-7.

With the second quarter underway, on Poudre’s third possession, Fossil’s defense caused a fumble and Brady Russell was on the ball for the recovery. Roberts and Fossil’s offense took the field after the fumble recovery on the 8 yard line. Roberts ran the ball in himself to give the Sabercats a 21-7 lead.

Dylan Johnston had a big sack on Poudre’s, James Campbell, and after some play from the Impalas Ryan Cronin got in between their play and had a huge interception off of what would’ve been a touchdown pass for Poudre. The Sabercats made their way off of the field for halftime, with a comfortable 21-7 lead.

Photo provided by Coloradoan: Fossil vs Poudre Football game.

As the Fossil Ridge Band took the field at halftime, the student section went crazy, the support from the Fossil parents, supporters, and students could be felt in the air of the stadium. With an amazing performance the Band left the crowds’ energy at a high as the team ran out to take the field for the second half.

Poudre came back in the second half, scoring 3 more touchdowns and taking a 28-21 lead over Fossil. With 1:39 left in the game, Roberts ran the ball in from the 3 yard line to tie the game and send it into OT.

Playing with college rules, each team got a chance to score from the 10 yard line. Fossil took the lead and scored on their drive wasting little time on a play from Roberts to Owen Arkin. The student section went insane with fans already moving down to crowd the fence.

The Fossil defense stopped Poudre’s offensive line, not once, not twice, but four times in front of the end zone. Johnston had the sack on James Campbell to win the game for Fossil.

Teammates ran to each other, jumping into each other arms as coaches jumped up and down pumping their fists in the air. The team ran over to the student section as the fans flooded down to the fence cheering their lungs out. As the team sang the victory song, it seemed that every student, every player, every staff member and coach of Fossil was united because all in all that win was more than just another win for Fossil Ridge; that game showed the grit and drive the team has to make a comeback. Senior, Owen Arkin said, “I will never forget this game tonight.”

Fossil Ridge takes City Champion title.
Fossil Ridge takes City Champion title.

$100
$1000