Fossil Ridge Senior Night 2016. Photo Credit: Dennis Johnston

Seniors end their season and their Fossil careers on a high

Fossil Ridge senior Ryan Cronin goes up to catch pass from Griffin Roberts. Photo provided by Dennis Johnston
Fossil Ridge senior Ryan Cronin goes up to catch pass from Griffin Roberts. Photo credit: Dennis Johnston

Every year the same things happen, the same number of games, the same ceremonies, the same finale, but there is nothing that compares to the feeling that each individual senior class experiences when they take the field for their last home game playing high school football.

Thursday October 27, Fossil warmed up on French Field alongside Far Northeast High School (FNE), unaware that at the end of the night they would sing their victory song after taking a sweet 48-14 win.

Right from the start the Sabercats came out strong. 16 seconds into the first play from the line of scrimmage, senior and Quarterback, Griffin Roberts threw the ball into senior Brady Russell’s hands for a 56-yard touchdown pass. The Cats took an early 7-0 lead after senior Evan Bergerson got the extra point.

Fossil wasted their next drive –  on 1st and 10 on Far Northeast’s 11-yard line, Bergerson could only get a field goal before punting the ball into FNE possession. Fossil took the three points, leading 10-0.

In the first quarter alone, Roberts made three more touchdown passes. Two fell into the hands of senior Owen Arkin, both of which were 35-yard passes. The next points came from a bomb of a pass: a 69-yard ball from Roberts to senior Ryan Cronin for another touchdown.

At the end of the first quarter Fossil was holding an easy 30-0 lead over the Warriors.

Bergerson had another gain from 24-yards out; Cat’s pulled even further away 33-0 .

FNE finally scored getting themselves some points, but little did they know, Arkin wasn’t done for the night. Roberts found Arkin a third time for another touchdown absolutely breaking down the Warriors. Fossil had control of the game, sitting 32 points ahead; 40-8 going into halftime.

The Fossil Ridge High School Marching Band and Color Guard gave a wonderful performance at the half, and the crowd was going wild. Roberts was 11-19 for 301-yards with 5 touchdowns.

Towards the end of the game, senior Levi Folk received an 11-yard pass from Roberts to seal the win. Fossil Ridge destroyed Far Northeast High School 48-14.

Russell commented, “This has truley been such a great experience for me. These boys and these past four seasons will always be a part of the memories I have of this school and this time in my life. I wish the best to my brothers here as we all go our own ways. It has been a pleasure playing with this group, making history with this team, and being a member of this family.”

This has been a wonderful season for Fossil Football, it’s unfortunate the boys will not be heading into playoffs. Good luck to our graduating seniors in the next chapters of their lives, it has been a crazy ride, and they all should be proud of what they have accomplished here.  

Fossil Football vs Fort Collins High School. City Champions and Harmony Cup Champions 2016. Photo provided by Dennis Johnston
Fossil Football vs Fort Collins High School. City Champions and Harmony Cup Champions 2016. Photo credit: Dennis Johnston