Michael Schilling playing for Fossil Ridge. Photo Credit: Michael Schilling.

Player Profile: Michael Schilling

Michael Schilling playing for Fossil Ridge. Photo provided by Michael Schilling

Traditionally, boys basketball here at Fossil Ridge has been one of the more popular sports. Over the last few years the boys’ program has performed very well in regular season play, and for a few of the teams, in playoffs as well. This season, hoping to close out his senior year with a bang is Mike Schilling, a returning varsity player, and 3 year veteran for Fossil.

Along with being an athlete, Schilling is a very outdoorsy and intuitive guy. With interest in traveling, exploring, and art, he often finds himself drawing and taking adventures with his friends in his off time. Along with an optimistic personality, he carries himself in a very genuine way. After sitting down with him, Schilling stated, “I care a lot about others who are close to me. I think that is a pretty unique characteristic for a person of my age, because most high school students mainly care about themselves and their own self image; sadly they don’t always create a good one.” Although his friendships mean a great deal to him, his family is the most important thing in his life. One of his goals is to genuinely be a better version of himself every day, and he said his family has a lot to do with his outlook on life and how he chooses to approach every day. “Along with my parents, I have two sisters, and a brother. All that I can say is that they are all incredibly supportive of me and no matter where they are, I know they will always be there for me, as I will for them. My family is the most important thing to me and they always remind me to do what I love.”  

Schilling isn’t the only one on the team that’s returning for their final high school season, he will be alongside guys he has been playing with for the past 3 years. He was very excited to talk about basketball stating, “This season should be a real fun one. We are all familiar with each other and have a good team chemistry along with some really good ball handling and skill, and for those reasons I think we have the potential to compete against other really good teams this season.”

Most seniors come to realize this same thing – Schilling expressed his time at Fossil as ‘something he can’t believe is almost over, and is honestly going to miss as he faces new and unknown challenges in the near future.’ He would like to continue his basketball career after high school if the right opportunity presents itself, but all in all, he mentioned multiple times that he is going to miss this school and these people, and the memories and experiences he has had as a Sabercat. Sending him the best of luck this season and with the rest of his senior year and whatever follows after his time being a Sabercat.  

Tomorrow Schilling and the team will take on cross town rival Rocky Mountain in their first game; be at Fossil at 6:30 for a “jersey out” and get ready to get loud for the start of this winter season!