Cam DeHart jumping up for a layup against Loveland High School defender. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell.

Winter break recap and stolen win against Loveland

Braxton Bertolette drives to the basket in their game against Loveland High School. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell.

Winter break is a time to spend with family, with friends, and apparently, on the court. Our boys basketball team played three games during their time off of school, and now have a 5-7 record for this 2016-2017 season. They first took on Pine Creek High School and took a substantial (81-43) win. Next up was Monarch High School, the Sabercats fell short (61-65) in a neck-in-neck game, and to close out break the ‘Cats took on Highlands Ranch High School and unfortunately lost to the skilled Falcons (60-62).

On Thursday, January 12, Fossil Ridge took a lead on Loveland High School early on in the game. The final score was (47-42) in favor of Fossil Ridge, but the Indians made a strong comeback towards the end of the game; time just wasn’t on their side. Braxton Bertolette had a solid game, getting himself 13 more points, but he wasn’t the only player catching eyes. Senior Alex Price earned himself 9 points, and sank a handful of three point shots to increase their lead in the third and fourth quarters. After the game, in a quick interview with Price, he commented, “Going into the game, myself and the rest of the team felt confident that we could handle the pressure that Loveland presented. We believed that as long as we executed our plays and pressured them on defense that we would have a good chance to get the win. I thought we had a promising first half, but starting in the second we drifted away from the things that were making us successful in the first, everything from offensive execution to our defense in general.”

The game was played with fast pace, both teams controlling the ball when they had possession, but the Sabercats ultimately did a better job at finishing with the ball. Price also mentioned, “Overall, I thought we didn’t play to our full potential by any means. I think we could’ve done a better job pertaining to on the ball defense, just being able to keep our man out of the paint, and I also think that we could’ve improved on our offensive aggression. It wasn’t a terrible game, but it wasn’t a great one either.” Price along with the rest of the team was ready to take on Poudre in their next game, there will be an article on that game soon, stay tuned.