Andrew Schimmels goes up for a layup against a Poudre defender. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell.

Boys basketball crawls over the Poudre Impalas in cross town rival game

Colby Pipher bodying up against a Poudre defender. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell.

Contrary to the historically nerve-racking date, on Friday night, January 13, there seemed to be a great deal of luck falling upon the Sabercats. The game was a true presentation of what a stereotypical, cross town rival, high school basketball game should look like. The Sabercats took the game against Poudre High School with a 56-44 win.

The starting 5 for Fossil Ridge were Braxton Bertolette, Luke Lauby, Garrett Ripsam, Cam Dehart, and Colby Pipher. The boys came out ready; with high pressure defense and a quick and deceptive offense, lead by Bertolette, they took an early lead scoring 5 points in the first minute of play.

Strong efforts were made by Pipher and Dehart in their defense half in the first quarter, leading to a four turnovers and landing the ball in the hands of Lauby and Bertolette.

Dehart was fouled under Poudre’s basket after driving through an Impala, he missed both shots from the line, but sure enough was there for the rebound putting the ball back up and making up for those two points he had just missed.

Bertolette hit five three point shots in the first half, and played a deceptive game in Fossil’s offensive zone, throwing behind the back passes, and breaking ankles left and right. It seemed like no matter who Poudre put on him, they couldn’t slow him down.

Pipher executed his free throws, leaving the first half 2/2 from the line. Alex Price came into the game shortly after, and controlled the pace of the game for the rest of the first half. His bursts of speed when moving the ball down the court, and his hustle to get back and defend began to rub off on his teammates, leaving the play intensified as both teams stepped up to match his level of energy.  

Senior Andrew Schimmels sunk a three point shot in the last few seconds of the first half, giving the Sabercats a 35-15 lead going into halftime.

After both teams had regrouped, they made their way back out onto the court for the second half. The third quarter was neck-in-neck, it was then that both of the teams turned it on. There was a bit of trash talking, physicality, and frustration streaming between all of the players. Going into the fourth quarter the score had only changed a few points, keeping Fossil in the lead, 41-34.

Possession moved fluidly between the two teams, and then Lauby had a big steal, exciting not only his team, but the crowd as well. Dehart had another strong drive to the basket following that play which put the Sabercats ahead 43-36 with five minutes left in the game.

The next two minutes were spent in Poudre’s paint. Bertolette found himself on the free throw line twice, putting away each and every one of his shots, and giving fossil a 49-40 lead.

In the last minute and a half, Poudre forcefully worked their way down the court, falling just short on a couple of shots. Bertolette got the ball back in his hands and made two Impalas look silly on another drive to the basket, solidifying their win.  

Fossil closed out the night with the 56-44 win. It was a great night for Fossil Ridge basketball with both the boys and girls teams winning their games. The boys next game is Tuesday, January 17, at Fossil at 7:00pm vs cross town rival Rocky Mountain. Be there and get ready to get loud.

Fossil Ridge players cheering on their team while getting a break in an intense cross town rival game vs Poudre High School. Photo Credit: Julie Brey

Follow @EmilyBreyEIS & @frhssportsnews for more updates.

[socialpoll id=”2413389″]