Fossil Ridge Basketball. Photo Credit: Google Images

Fossil basketball earns a complete rack of wins against Greeley West High School

Friday, January 27, the Fossil Ridge boys basketball teams traveled to Greeley West High School, and ended the night with a complete rack of wins. Often a lot of the focus regarding sports here at Fossil is centered around the varsity teams, but with the talent in this program, each of our teams has had a solid season thus far, and are in need of some recognition.

Last night D team, after coming back from quite a big score differential, won 42-32 with strong efforts from Luke Neiman and Jack Eastwood bringing the team back into the game. It wasn’t until the end of the second quarter, when Neiman hit a three point shot, that the SaberCats pulled ahead 25-24 going into halftime. After the second half was underway, the boys began to distance themselves further from the Spartans. It was a great comeback, the boys didn’t give up on the game, and ultimately that work ethic rewarded them.

C team hung on to their lead until the final whistle was blown, winning 66-51. Jv played an extremely close game, only winning by three points. The final score was 47-44 in favor of the SaberCats after they had gone into an intense overtime quarter.

Varsity destroyed the Spartans 60-28; Andrew Schimmels, Braxton Bertolette, Cam Dehart, Garrett Ripsam, and Luke Lauby all had great games, however, every Fossil player looked confident on the court. The players mentioned above put away a handful of shots, ending the game with a combined total of 48 pts.

By the end of the first quarter our varsity team held a 13-8 lead, which quickly increased as halftime approached. Alex Price, once again, came out and did his job. He made a big impact on the game, hitting a handful of three point shots, layups, as well as working back to play defense.

Again, Schimmels and Bertolette each had a great night. With 3:36 left in the second quarter the boys were ahead, 29-11, and there was no way Greeley West was going to slow them down. By the time the first half came to a close, the Sabercats were up 33-15 over the Spartans.

The second half brought similar results as the first, the boys walked all over the Spartans. At the end of the game, the SaberCats had pulled away 60-28 in a crushing defeat over their opponent.

The boys’ next game is on Tuesday, January 31, at Fort Collins High School. Come out and support them as they take on another cross town rival at 7:00 pm.