Fossil falls again to Grandview in the Final Four

Senior Riley Dunn in tears as she steps off the court for the final time as a Sabercat Photo Credit: Olivia Doro

Olivia Doro

Their second game at the Denver Coliseum facing off against a familiar opponent who they had already fallen to in their season 52-57. Fossil Ridge High School faced Grandview High School Thursday, March 8 in a stadium full of fans, bands, cheerleaders, and onlookers. Already having one playoff game under their belt Fossil was hungry for more and eager for their shot at redemption.

Seniors Reilly Dunn, Katey Guzman, and Reaghan Lang were all anxious and excited going into what could be their last game with Fossil basketball. While this was the end for Fossil sports for both Guzman and Dunn, Lang was already in soccer season along with finishing up her basketball career for Fossil. Head Coach Chad Salz said that “We aren’t going in blind. We know their (Grandview’s) strengths and weaknesses. All the pressure is on them.” Salz also said the girls were both physically and mentally prepared as they stepped into this last chance redemption game.

In the first quarter Fossil started by taking the ball and sinking three after three. Soon after the girls had begun their lead Grandview was right behind them. The Wolves had come out to play and they kept stealing the ball, sinking shots, and rebounds. The Sabercats finished the first quarter 12-14, trailing only two points behind Grandview.

Beginning the second quarter was sophomore Sophia Hadad with two points to tie Fossil up at the beginning. Throughout the quarter as soon as Fossil would tie it up Grandview would score another two. After an endless game of you-lead-I-lead, the Wolves decided to take the lead. Despite the Sabercats best efforts to catch up Fossil ended the first half 23-30, trailing by only seven points.

Rachel Novak reaching a point. Photo Credit: Olivia Doro

The third quarter was another one opened by Fossil, with Sophia Hadad scoring two consecutive two-pointers. The girls looked like they might come back until Grandview repeatedly stole, shot, and rebounded like that had in the first quarter. After another unsuccessful quarter at catching up, the Sabercats trailed behind the Wolves 30-43.

The fourth and last quarter of both Fossil’s season and the seniors’ high school basketball careers was difficult to watch and even more difficult for the girls to play. After Guzman injured her ankle, which took her out of the game in the first quarter, and Dunn fouled out in the final quarter the team knew this part of their high school careers was over. A tremendous attempt at redemption from the Sabercats ended in tears a the team lost 38-54, ending their road to state. They’ll be back next year Fossil, ready and hungrier than ever for their state title.