Fossil beats Fort Collins after another player injury

Kylie Metcalf getting the header Photo Credit: Olivia Doro

Olivia Doro

Fossil Ridge High School defeated crosstown rival Fort Collins High School after a slow first half and an intense second half. This game was the second consecutive game where a player was injured and taken out of the game. Player number 3, senior Katie Townsend, was injured with twenty-five minutes left on the clock for the second half. This unfortunate injury didn’t deter the team and Reaghan Lang scored an incredible goal that took the lead and the game. Kenady Adams did not take the field after her own injury in the game played against Rocky Mountain High School last Thursday, March 29.

Reach for the sky Photo Credit: Olivia Doro

The Sabercats were aggressive, smart and played as a team in the first half to dominate the field. This play was mirrored by the Lambkins however and both teams played with everything they had. Despite the minuscule showup of student fans from both sides, this was an intense crosstown rival game worth watching. From side tackles, body blocks and headers these girls fought to the end and finished the half in a 0-0 tie.

Second half was amplified in every way from the intensity in play to the goal scoring. Townsend’s injury happened after fifteen minutes of aggressive field play, her injury took her out of the game for the final twenty-five minutes. Unlike the game where Adams was injured Fossil didn’t lose their mental focus. Lang went for the shot and scored an amazing goal that seemed to perfectly move with the wind to find it’s way into the net. Although Collins gave it everything in the final five minutes to try and make a shot, they couldn’t. The Sabercats took the game 1-0 and put them back onto the start of another winning streak.